What's SDL!

Started by
3 comments, last by skyx 20 years, 9 months ago
It is said to be easier to make a game with SDL. I read something on SDL and I think it is another library.But having SDL, do we still need OpenGL and what''s the relations between the two?Thanks in advance.
A Beginner!Nice to talk with you!
Advertisement
SDL is an api that simplifies game dev. it manages and simplifies windowing, event handling, sound, and has many libraries to help with other aspects.. like networking, gui development and more.

it provides general blitting capabilities, for 2d stuff, and also provides a direct interface for working with openGL.

i have been using it for my latest project and so far have not had any trouble with it,
Thank you!
Which one is better OGL or SDL? What are the credits and disadvantages of the two? And I want to know whether SDL can totally take the place of OpenGL which means that we can make a game or a demo only using SDL and OGL(or DX) is not needed?Thanks!
A Beginner!Nice to talk with you!
The SDL website is rather informative, I found SDL to be useful when OpenGL was my API of choice, so it may be of use to you.

http://www.libsdl.org/
quote:Original post by skyx
Thank you!
Which one is better OGL or SDL? What are the credits and disadvantages of the two? And I want to know whether SDL can totally take the place of OpenGL which means that we can make a game or a demo only using SDL and OGL(or DX) is not needed?Thanks!

it still depends on whether u want to use openGL or not. SDL can do 2d operations like blitting bitmaps, drawing lines and shapes... so yes u could make a game using just sdl and no openGL. but if u wanted the 3d support, or the hardware implemented speed of openGL then use that. check out the tutorials on the sdl site

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement