DirectX 9.0 and DirectX 8.0...

Started by
7 comments, last by kalash 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi all, i just got my project assigned and it requires directx, the tutorials i have are all on DirectX 8.0 so i was wondering will my 8.0 application have problems running on DirectX 9.0 runtime environment ? How has 9.0 changed, ok apart from more API functions, have the 8.0 functions been replaced by someother ? ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ I will probably work on a machine that has directx 9.0 installed, will i get linker errors if i build .exe''s there based on 8.0 ? Help will be HUGELY appreciated, cos i know about DirectX like the a cow knows about chemistry. Thank you in Advance, Regards, kalash
Advertisement
quote:Original post by kalash
I will probably work on a machine that has directx 9.0 installed, will i get linker errors if i build .exe''s there based on 8.0 ?

No. DirectX is COM based, ergo it is backwards compatible.

quote:Original post by kalash
How has 9.0 changed, ok apart from more API functions, have the 8.0 functions been replaced by someother ?

Well, DirectX9 is, for basic things, very similar to DirectX8, and you''ll have no problems converting from DX8 to DX9 if you do choose to use DX9 instead of DX8.

Good luck!
Can i ask u one more thing, i know (heard, not yet read) that DirectInput is very cool for getting user input via mouse or keyboard or joystick, it''s geared towards them... but can i use it to get input from a webcam? Let''s say i was to build a webcam based interaction, so the user gets the input from the camera, does DirectInput help ? or will i still have to go from scratch using camera drivers and so on?

Regards,
kalash
Ok well the question wasn''t specific enough, i will do my image processing alone but can DirectInput provide some help like background substraction from the image?

If that can happen the i can directly incorporate my real user into the game...

kalash
Unfortunately, I am fairly certain DirectInput would not support any kind of webcam.

I''m not exactly sure what you mean by "background substraction." But I am leaning towards a "no" as DirectInput does not support any kind of image manipulation.
Background substraction - well in the game the user will move physically in order to control his character in the war game... so he will either, run, croup, jump, fire, turn left right and so on... (u need to be fit for the game - hehe lol), if the background could be substracted i.e. taken away from the stored image on RAM, so to aid image processing.

I am just guessing, there could like be a function to isolate the focus pixels for the background... but i guess i am asking too much, what a lazy guy i am, want everything to be already done.

But thanks for your replies, i''m off to read on DirectX - Jesus there is so much documentation... i guess i''ll have to use some already done code for all this windows message handling and stuff...

Regards,
kalash
Sure, good luck on your project.
I have used DirectShow to get the picture from a webcam as an array of bytes, for further analysis.. i combined one of the camera samples with the movieastexture sample.

Fantastic ! That''s really good news, thanks Anonymous Poster.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement