[java] Java 3D

Started by
8 comments, last by Strife 20 years, 9 months ago
How many of you have used Java 3D before? And what are your opinions on it, as opposed to other 3D implementations for Java (e.g., GL4Java, JavaGL, etc.)? I''m looking into J3D now, and it doesn''t seem bad (I''m pretty impressed by how well it runs), but I''d just like to see what other peoples'' opinions are on it and other 3D packages for Java. The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM http://chaos.webhop.org
Advertisement
I downloaded the executable and tried to install in the JDK directory, but I''m experiencing some problems. I''m using WinMe. Is it true there is some problem in installation of Java3D 1.3 on WinMe?

My other java programs compile fine but I just can''t compile the 3D demos
Its not so bad. I would check also LWJGL and JOGL, just to be sure. They are pretty much equal. Actualy they are more or less connection of Java to Open GL.
I would stay away from GL4Java. People moved from it, developers, to JOGL and it looks like JOGL would be continuously developed. There is little difference between GL4Java and JOGL now, IIRC so your code wouldn''t suffer by high amount of modifications.
Yeah, the main reason that I was interested in looking into the GL bindings for Java is that I already know and use OpenGL on C/C++, and I figured it would be a lot easier to just use those rather than learning a new API. However, Java 3D looks appealing in that it''s maintained by Sun (and a lot more actively than many of the GL bindings, it seems). On the other hand, J3D doesn''t have Mac support, whereas some of the GL bindings do.

Anyway, I''ll give some of these a try as soon as I get back from visiting family in a couple weeks.

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
If you already know OpenGL then you''ll slide into JOGL like a duck into water. There''s also a pretty strong push to get JOGL as an official extension to Java, and Java having an official OpenGL implementatin would be beneficial for pretty much all so it could happen.
I don''t have experience with those other implementations (i''ve only messed with Java3D), but isn''t Java3D a lot easier? Java3D reminds me of VRML.

Victor.
c[_]~~
To keep it simple:

Java3D is a high-level API. You make a sphere with new Sphere() and everything else is just as simple, really. It''s a real universe where you can play with shapes, lights as if they were real objects, and much more... Without letting you bother with optimisation, which it does itself. (I highly recommend it)

On the opposite, JOGL & LWJGL are low-level apis, meaning you''re dealing with your triangles and shapes on a very basic way. You have a much more direct access to ressources and commands, this can bring a speed advantage. And, as it is said above, JOGL is from sun and LWJGL from volunteers.

You''ve a high-level api on one side and a "direct-access" on the other, you must know what you need...

And by the way:
quote:Original post by project_oo
I downloaded the executable and tried to install in the JDK directory, but I''m experiencing some problems. I''m using WinMe. Is it true there is some problem in installation of Java3D 1.3 on WinMe?

Hmm... i''ve installed it under winME on my old computer and had no problems. (???)
quote:Original post by project_oo
My other java programs compile fine but I just can''t compile the 3D demos

You surely forgot to add the class pathes in your IDE!

quote:Original post by Strife
Yeah, the main reason that I was interested in looking into the GL bindings for Java is that I already know and use OpenGL on C/C++, and I figured it would be a lot easier to just use those rather than learning a new API. However, Java 3D looks appealing in that it''s maintained by Sun (and a lot more actively than many of the GL bindings, it seems). On the other hand, J3D doesn''t have Mac support, whereas some of the GL bindings do.

As of today java3d is in ''a holding patern.'' No real explanation from sun but it may be eoled or it may end up being a layer ontop of jogl, sun''s semi-official opengl binding. You might want to start with jogl since you will be more comfortable with it and by the time you get up to speed java3d''s situation might be resolved.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
quote:Original post by GKW
As of today java3d is in ''a holding patern.'' No real explanation from sun but it may be eoled or it may end up being a layer ontop of jogl, sun''s semi-official opengl binding. You might want to start with jogl since you will be more comfortable with it and by the time you get up to speed java3d''s situation might be resolved.

Excellent. I can''t say I really like the J3D syntax (or whatever you want to call it) just yet, quite possibly because I am so used to GL. Of course, I still have to wait until I am back home to give that JOGL a try, but luckily, that''ll be tomorrow

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
J3D seemed a bit overwhelming when I first started out but now I really like it. If it was updated to use vbo I would like it even more.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement