"read my exe"

Started by
18 comments, last by ploiu 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Is it possible to read the assembly code generated my my exe file? If it is, how? (I''m using VS.NET) Thanks
Advertisement
get the intel specification for the asm byte codes and you will have a mapping of the data in EXE to readable assembly language.

www.cppnow.com
how''s that?
Since one assembly instruction equals one machine instruction, you can simply decode the EXE bytecode using the mentioned specs.

Getting a disassembler will of course be easier.

My Wonderful Web Site (C++ SDL OpenGL Game Programming)

I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.
---Just trying to be helpful.Sebastian Beschkehttp://randomz.heim.at/
IIRC, you can open (drag/drop) an EXE right into the Visual Studio IDE, and it will automatically format it into assembly code in an instant, along with hex byte codes.

You should be able to even step/trace the actual execution... go hacker!

www.cppnow.com
Alternatively, MASM comes with a disassembler, IIRC. That should turn your exe into a big .asm file. It''s still somewhat hard to read, though, unless you know asm pretty well.
what about ildasm that comes with vs.net, what does it do?
Also decompiles .NET applications into IL assembly.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
If you are willing to spend some money, then IDA - The interactive disassembler is really the best. It has been very useful for me, when I have made editors for some games, and trying to hack the fileformats

For more info.
http://www.datarescue.com/idabase/ida.htm

[edited by - fredizzimo on July 4, 2003 6:11:00 PM]

[edited by - fredizzimo on July 4, 2003 6:12:51 PM]
The easiest way to see the generated assembly for a program you have the source code to is to turn on ''Assembler Output''(with source to make it easier to read) under project properties, C/C++ tab, then Output Files. Assuming you are using C/C++ of course (you didn''t specify language; you can use the other methods mentioned if you don''t have the source or aren''t using C/C++ though the option might be available for other languages)
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement