KDE vs. Gnome: your experiences.

Started by
16 comments, last by CoffeeMug 20 years, 9 months ago
I am interested in comparing your experiences of KDE and Gnome desktop environments regarding certain points important to me. If you can take a few minutes, please list your opinions about the following topics.
  • Visual aspect - which system is more pleasing to the eye? I know both have themes, but I am not sure which one gives the skin designers more freedom. Basically, which system has more of a wow factor?
  • Customization - which system is more customizable in terms of UI and overall experience? Which system has more interesting config files that let my imagination go wild?
  • Stability - which system tends to crash more often?
  • Performance - which system is faster? Which one uses less resources?
Advertisement
quote:# Visual aspect - which system is more pleasing to the eye? I know both have themes, but I am not sure which one gives the skin designers more freedom. Basically, which system has more of a wow factor?

Gnome has a far better theme implemenatation if you''d ask me. Somehow, KDE themes always look fat and clumsy to me. You''d simply have to see this to know what I mean...

quote:Customization - which system is more customizable in terms of UI and overall experience? Which system has more interesting config files that let my imagination go wild?

For the visual aspect, Gnome is far more configuratble, but for menu''s and browsing, KDE/Konqueror has way more features than Gnome/Nautilus.

quote:Stability - which system tends to crash more often?

Well, I haven''t worked with KDE for a while, and it''s being improved dayly, but I''ve had a few crashes with it. Gnome keeps on working. It''s rock solid for me...

quote:Performance - which system is faster? Which one uses less resources?

The speed is about the same when you''re talking about starting apps and the like. Konqueror tends to load the contents of directories slightly faster than Nautilus, but the results look nicer in Nautilus too imho.

Anyway, I think it all just comes down to preference. If you''re someone who doesn''t mind taking two steps sometimes if it could be done in one step, and you do like eye-candy a lot, I''d take gnome. Otherwise, if you''re more a "work-efficiënt don''t mind the looks" person, I''d go for KDE.

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.
Visual aspect: i think Gnome is prettier, but i still haven''t seen any theme that would make me go "wow, this is *beautiful*!".

Customization: IMO, KDE beats that. KDE is all about funcionalities, so they give you lots of stuff to customize whatever you want.

Stability: don''t know if there''s a "better one" here.

Performance: again, i think they''re pretty much the same thing... only Nautilus is kinda slow, hope it''ll get better with time.

Victor.
c[_]~~
I don''t know about all the differnet aspects. But I do know that KDE conforms more to my expections to a Desktop environment than GNOME does. I think GNOME looks great, much better than KDE, but it fails a big test for me when it doesn''t include a "align icons to drid" command for the desktop. It seems that the KDE dev team spent more time getting use-ability down.
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Installing KDE right now... With gentoo it''ll take about 20 hours to compile on my system, but currently I have a lot of time BTW, can someone suggest good looking themes for KDE?
quote:Original post by CoffeeMug
Installing KDE right now... With gentoo it''ll take about 20 hours to compile on my system, but currently I have a lot of time BTW, can someone suggest good looking themes for KDE?

Hmm... well, there are plenty at kde-look.org.

Victor.
c[_]~~
quote:Original post by -vic-
Hmm... well, there are plenty at kde-look.org.

Most of them suck. I was hoping people could recommend their favorites.
quote:Original post by griffenjam
... It doesn''t include a "align icons to drid" command for the desktop.

Nautilus does have that feature now (they were able to add it in 2.3.x, along with the 900 other features people have been rightfully whining about).

I''m just starting with linux, but I find KDE to be a bit slower and less responsive than Gnome.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
I like Gnome, though I can''t really say objectively why.
ximian is a new gnome-based desktop that has a sharp look. However, it takes over gnome when you install it, and breaks KDE.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement