Game Trainers

Started by
5 comments, last by InsanityX 23 years, 10 months ago
I hope this isnt an unpopular question, but how does one go about making a trainer for a multiplayer game? Like modifying money, health, lives, etc. Can someone point me at some function names or a program I should be using? I always wondered about how people made things like the maphack for starcraft way back when. I would think you use something like spy++ and go from there. FYI i dont plan on cheating i just wanna know how its done
Advertisement
quote:Original post by InsanityX

I hope this isnt an unpopular question, but how does one go about making a trainer for a multiplayer game?

one gets softice for oneself, and starts rippin bytes

a "trainer"...?

I call that a cheater, not a trainer. Cheating doesn''t train you how to do anything.
Did you check the other thread? And a trainer is just a less immoral sounding word for cheater, ie the diablo trainer.

For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
This is probably how it''s done (I don''t know for sure though):

You need to use the debugger, and find out what variables go with which stats in the program. You use the debugger to get the byte memory addresses of the variables. Then, once you have these addresses, you write your program that takes input from the user and changes the values at those addresses, thus changing the stats for the player that you want to change. This is probably close to the same way savegame editors work, except those work with files instead of the memory the game is running in.

What I don''t know is how you get access to the memory the game is running in...
(growl) Qoy:Did you check the thread ''How to make to programs interact?''

Like i said, I just wanted to know how its done. And i did get the idea from the 2 games interact thread, i just wanted to expand on it. I thought programmers are suppose to be curious about these kinds of things
Sounds like a pretty large undertaking just to be able to cheat.
And i know what trainers are, thanks.
Any other ways to do it or is using the debugger pretty much standard?

Later, Chad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement