Bumpmapping

Started by
2 comments, last by guts 20 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Does anyone know a very easy to understand tutorial on bumpmapping(OpenGL)? pls And another question: Do you usually use bumpmapping for the whole "game-world" (scene)? thanks in advance!!
Advertisement
G...G...Google! It's your best friend in the world of programming. Also, you might want to check out developer.nvidia.com, and search Google for stuff on ARB_fragment_program, ARB_texture_env_combine, ARB_texture_env_dot3 and NV_register_combiners. This is the main tutorial for bumpmapping with nvidia's register combiners: A Practical and Robust Bump-mapping Technique. However, bumpmapping can be a difficult topic, and many of the papers you'll find will be difficult to understand. The paper above is very math-heavy, but the code to implement bumpmapping is there. Just read the whole paper, ignore the mathmatical derivation of Blinn's original method at the top (it's university-level advanced calculus integration anyway), and read Kilgard's method and code underneath, which is actually quite easy to understand once you read through it a few times...

EDIT: Oh, and try www.ati.com/developer/, too...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on July 8, 2003 6:39:44 PM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
thx
and my other question?! do you "normally" use a bumpmap for each object?
It usually depends on the object. If it requires a bumpmap, then it has one, but all you do is disable the register combiners on polygons which don't have a bumpmap associated with them. This is a situation which would be solved with a shader language. You associate a shader with a polygon, and the shader contains the information about the polygon, like if it has a bumpmap or not, the name of it's texture, etc...

Coding Stuff ->  [ iNsAn1tY Games | DarkVertex | How To Do CSG | Direct3D Vs. OpenGL | Google ]
Fun Stuff    ->  [ Evil T-Shirts | Stick-Based Comedy | You're Already Here | The Best Film Reviews ]

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on July 8, 2003 6:44:57 PM]
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement