What paint program do you use?

Started by
9 comments, last by True Edge 20 years, 9 months ago
Because I''ve been trying to use Photoshop to make 24 bit bmps. I convert them to 16 bit (not within photoshop, with my code). And then i set the source transparency for the blitting to the background colour. But when I do it, there''s still some of that colour on the edges of my picture and it looks stupid.
The New N00b
Advertisement
JASC Paint Shop Pro 7
JASC Animation Shop 7
Wally (even though its for making mods for Half-life and Quake)
I use Paint Shop pro...
BTW, newest version of Animation Shop is 3 or 4
MS Paint is very underrated...I use that and JASC Paintshop.
''And then i set the source transparency for the blitting to the background colour. But when I do it, there''s still some of that colour on the edges of my picture and it looks stupid.''

That''s because your pictures are anti-aliased. There are various ways of preventing Photoshop from antialiasing your images; it all depends on what you''re doing. Did you scale the image size up or down, did you use photos that you cleaned up as source images, are you using images of models rendered in a 3D program (which has settings of it''s own to adjust when rendering to turn off anti aliasing)? It''s usually a lot easier to prevent anti-aliasing in the first place than to clean it up (pixel by pixel) later (no ,atter what application you use).
SysOp_1101
It tries to anti-alias everything, even if i uncheck the boxes. It''s happening when i rotate something. If you take off anti-aliasing though, pictures look like crap. How do are some 2d games so good then?
The New N00b
''If you take off anti-aliasing though, pictures look like crap. How do are some 2d games so good then?''

If you look at their sprites on a solid colored background, you''ll notice the ''jagged'' edge. Take a look at this site (or any other pixel art site) to get an idea about how much work goes into making good looking game sprites. Sprites are usually drawn at many times their final size, then shrunk down to achieve a smoother look.

I like you rely heavily on a lot of Photoshops features to create images, but when it comes to doing 2D game art, there are times when you''ll have to do some things pixel by pixel.
SysOp_1101
Photoshop 7 is the best
lol..

"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Member of the Shove Pouya Off A Cliff club, SPOAC. (If you wish to join, add this line to your signature.)Member of "Un-Ban nes8bit" association, UNA (to join put this in your sig)"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Anyone else think any Paintshop Pro after 6 pretty much sucks? They had it perfect, but the new versions just got too complicated.
GIMP
--KriS

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement