direct x compiling

Started by
4 comments, last by wilhil 20 years, 8 months ago
You are all probably bored of me by now! I have a question reguarding the samples that come with direct x sdk I clicked on samples and went to the simple one where it renders a tiger in visual basic, when I click the play button at the top to begin debug, it runs and it is fine, when i try and build the project and i run it from the folder it comes up with a error saying something along the lines of iostream.file not found or error, i cant remember exactly, but basically it does not work, I used to use visual studio 97 and vb 5, I have jumped to visual studio .net 2003 and I really am not sure on laods of things especially compiling, I remember simply clicking file > make bla.exe, now i do not udnerstand the diffrent options, where it compiles to and most importantly the diffrent sorts, i dont understand the diffrence between debug build and release (is it?) build e.t.c. I am relaly sorry again if this is a noob question but i am a noob and this is the beginners forum! any help you give is extremly appreciated, and if i egver make cash I will remember who ever helped me! [edited by - wilhil on August 5, 2003 7:03:40 PM]
>wilhil<
Advertisement
It helps to post the *exact* error you''re getting (cut''n''paste works well ).

Debug versus Release versions basically are to do with the level of runtime error checking versus optimization and you generally needn''t worry about it (use Debug for development and finding bugs and Release to test your realistic performance). There are far too many compile options to go into in one post, the compiler documentation is quite lucid on the subject.
thanks for the brief info , but can anyone tell me how i can simply have the source on screen, compile, email to someone and they run it, because currently i can not run any program i run outside of my pc , or really outside of visual studio.net

Thanks
>wilhil<
when i click run in visual studio it works fine, when i compile and try to run outside of visual studio the error i get is :

An exception "System.IO.FileNotFoundException" has occured in test.exe

I have no idea what this is and would appreciate any help, I am going to bed now!
>wilhil<
hello?
>wilhil<
You have to put the executable in the right directory, it looks like it cant find the data files (the tiger mesh etc.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement