Disabling the "Windows" key

Started by
8 comments, last by Telamon 20 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, Often when playing Warcraft III I accidentally hit the "Minimize this game, take me to windows, and rape me" button by accident (it''s too close to the Alt button on my keyboard). Does anyone know how to disable this button (it''s the little flying windows button on many keyboards, for those of you without first hand experience of playing some fast paced game, hitting it by accident, and ending up staring at your desktop while you got shot/run off the road/massacred.) I have two questions regarding this button. 1. How can I disable it in my games. 2. If some company like Blizzard forgot to disable it for me, how can I disable it. The windows button is trash, I hate it. Is anyone else against this tight coupling of keyboard buttons to software? It just seems like a bad idea to me.

Shedletsky's Bits: A Blog | ROBLOX | Twitter
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea...

Advertisement
wtf you talking about dude? the windows key is excellent for minimizing starcraft and warcraft when your boss comes by!

but...if you''re a kill joy..disable it by taping a piece of paper that says: "DON''T PRESS".

Anyways, sorry i can''t really help you, search around on gamedev - theres been countless times when people''ve posted this topic.

I eat heart attacks
Remove the key, or get a new keyboard that you can comfortably use without hitting it.
This has nothing to do with game programming, smart guy.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to program this myself but at least I''ve found a nice program that disables the winkeys for you!

It''s called Winkey Assassin and I found it over at d2.net ->

http://www.diabloii.net/cgi-bin/download/quickdl.cgi?fl=http://www.ed011b6542.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/utilities/winkeyassassin.zip

I hope this is what you''re looking for, cya
whatya gonna do when da boss comes eh?
I eat heart attacks
yea you could use another''s program, but if you want to learn something look up global keyboard hooking
Just pull the key off the keyboard.
I thought it would be simple.

Catch the key when it is sent to your app and prevent the default processing from seeing it. ( VK_LWIN & VK_RWIN )
I'm not sure what you look like but obesity is on the rise and fat fingers are causing 74% more typos during typing than in 1983. If you're a programmer, this can prove hell. Just imagine, a finger that spans 2 1/2 keys! That's why people who are in charge of the nuclear missile silos have to weigh under 150 lbs.

[edited by - Ice-T on August 10, 2003 1:06:24 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement