How wear weapon on 3d model ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Terence Mok 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi everybody, I watched Jim Adams "advanced animation" and RPG book. I want character (e.g.tiny or warrior model) can wear weapon (e.g. sword) with new book engine? But How to do ? Finally, i want know which people migrate RPG ''Tower'' code with new book engine and when Jim will release this code on web site? Thank a lot. It is part of my source code (DoFrame function) Character and weapon can be render, but weapon cannot put on correct position.

void DoFrame()
{
  static DWORD StartTime = timeGetTime();
  DWORD ThisTime = timeGetTime();

// Update the animation (convert to 30 fps)

g_Anim.Update(m_AnimName, (ThisTime-StartTime)*3, TRUE);

// Rebuild the frame hierarchy transformations  

if(g_Frame)
    g_Frame->UpdateHierarchy();

// Build the skinned mesh

UpdateMesh(g_Mesh);

//Get Character Bone Frame (carry weapon) 

D3DXFRAME_EX *pFrameAttachWeapon;
  if (g_Frame)
     pFrameAttachWeapon=g_Frame->Find("WeaponHand");
  if (pFrameAttachWeapon!=NULL)
     m_pBoneWeaponMatrices = &pFrameAttachWeapon->matCombined ;

// Setup world matrix

D3DXMATRIXA16 matWorld;
  D3DXMatrixTranslation( &matWorld, -m_vObjectCenter.x,
			-m_vObjectCenter.y,
			-m_vObjectCenter.z );
  D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matWorld, &matWorld, m_ArcBall.GetRotationMatrix() );
  D3DXMatrixMultiply( &matWorld,  &matWorld, m_ArcBall.GetTranslationMatrix() );
  g_pD3DDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld );

D3DXVECTOR3 vEye( 0, 0, -2*g_MeshRadius );
  D3DXVECTOR3 vAt( 0, 0, 0 );
  D3DXVECTOR3 vUp( 0, 1, 0 );
  D3DXMatrixLookAtLH( &m_matView, &vEye, &vAt, &vUp);

// Clear the device and start drawing the scene

g_pD3DDevice->Clear(NULL, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(0,0,200,255), 1.0f, 0);
  if(SUCCEEDED(g_pD3DDevice->BeginScene())) {

// Enable lighting

if (g_Light==TRUE)
		g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE);
	// Render skinned mesh

DrawMeshes(g_Mesh);

// Render Weapon and position it

if (m_pBoneWeaponMatrices)
	{
		g_pD3DDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD,  m_pBoneWeaponMatrices  );
		DrawMeshes(g_WeaponMesh);
	}

// Enable lighting

if (g_Light==TRUE)
		g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE);
    // End the scene

g_pD3DDevice->EndScene();
  }

// Present the scene to the user

g_pD3DDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);
}
Advertisement
Normally, you specify (in the model, or possibly procedurally) where the weapon should ''attach'' to the character, and then render the weapon relative to that position (usually you define a weapon''s ''attach point'' as well, since most weapons aren''t held at the center or end).

Sometimes (depending on the complexity of the weapon / item you want the character to hold), you have to specify a unique location for each item.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Hi Etnu,

Thank your reply.
I got basic idea. I try got bone frame matrix (e.g weaponhand) and set world position and render it.
Which steps are mistake ? I have no idea now....
But i will work hard to solve this problem.

By the way, I want know which people migrate RPG ''Tower'' code with new book engine and when Jim release this code on web site? hahaha..

I solved this problem. Thanks

work case
rendermatrix=bone combined matrix * world transform matrix

no work case ( I don''t know why..)
rendermatrix=world transform matrix * bone combined matrix

work sample code
 void DoFrame(){  static DWORD StartTime = timeGetTime();  DWORD ThisTime = timeGetTime();  char text1[256];  // Update the animation (convert to 30 fps)  // comment :update frame(bone) offset transformation matrix   g_Anim.Update(m_AnimName, (ThisTime-StartTime)*3, TRUE);  // Rebuild the frame hierarchy transformations  // comment :update frame(bone) updated matrix=origin*offset transformation matrix  if(g_Frame)    g_Frame->UpdateHierarchy();  // Build the skinned mesh  // comment :update vertex(mesh) with updated transformation matrix  UpdateMesh(g_Mesh);    // Setup world matrix  D3DXMATRIXA16 matWorld;  D3DXMatrixTranslation( &matWorld, -m_vObjectCenter.x,										-m_vObjectCenter.y,										-m_vObjectCenter.z );  D3DXMatrixMultiply( &matWorld, &matWorld, m_ArcBall.GetRotationMatrix() );  D3DXMatrixMultiply( &matWorld, &matWorld, m_ArcBall.GetTranslationMatrix() );  D3DXVECTOR3 vEye( 0, 0, -2*g_MeshRadius );  D3DXVECTOR3 vAt( 0, 0, 0 );  D3DXVECTOR3 vUp( 0, 1, 0 );  D3DXMatrixLookAtLH( &m_matView, &vEye, &vAt, &vUp);   D3DXMATRIX matBoneRWorld;  if (m_pBoneWeaponRMatrices)  { //cannot use matworld*m_pBoneWeaponMatrices	D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matBoneRWorld,m_pBoneWeaponRMatrices,&matWorld );  }  D3DXMATRIX matBoneLWorld;  if (m_pBoneWeaponLMatrices)  { //cannot use matworld*m_pBoneWeaponMatrices	  D3DXMatrixMultiply(&matBoneLWorld,m_pBoneWeaponLMatrices,&matWorld );  }  // Clear the device and start drawing the scene  g_pD3DDevice->Clear(NULL, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_RGBA(0,0,200,255), 1.0f, 0);  if(SUCCEEDED(g_pD3DDevice->BeginScene())) {	// Enable lighting	if (g_Light==TRUE)		g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, TRUE);	if (m_pBoneWeaponRMatrices)	{				g_pD3DDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matBoneRWorld  );		DrawMeshes(g_WeaponRMesh);	}	if (m_pBoneWeaponLMatrices)	{		g_pD3DDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matBoneLWorld  );		DrawMeshes(g_WeaponLMesh);	}			// Render skinned mesh    g_pD3DDevice->SetTransform( D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld );	DrawMeshes(g_Mesh);		// Enable lighting	if (g_Light==TRUE)		g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING, FALSE);	m_pFont->DrawText(   2,  0, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(255,255,255,0), m_strFrameStats );    // End the scene    g_pD3DDevice->EndScene();  }  // Present the scene to the user  g_pD3DDevice->Present(NULL, NULL, NULL, NULL);}
quote:
no work case ( I don''t know why..)
rendermatrix=world transform matrix * bone combined matrix

Matrix multiplication is not commutative. So, as you learned the order of multiplication is important.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement