LCD's or CRT's for Gaming/Making Games...

Started by
17 comments, last by OpenGL_Guru 20 years, 8 months ago
CRTs also have a fixed dot pitch, fyi... it's just smaller. They only look better because they smear nearby pixels together better. LCDs try to simulate that effect when not at native res.

I have two 1280x1024 17" Sceptre Komodo/Naga LCDs that I love. (25ms response time, looking to buy a 16ms response sometime in the future). I don't think I would go back to using a CRT ever...

The "dark games" problem is for LCDs with low contrast ratios, not brightness. Contrast = easier to tell the difference between colors, Brightness = "oww, my eyes".

My LCDs are so bright I have them set on the minimum brightness. Way brighter than my CRTs were. The contrast ratio isn't as good though. I think I have 400:1.

The color response is awesome. Red/Green/Blue are all nice and vibrant. Red is actually better than on my CRTs.

[edited by - Nypyren on August 12, 2003 8:17:12 PM]
Advertisement
I like CRT''s because you can get a bigger CRT for the same amount of money as a smaller LCD. Also, I''m bugged by the fact that all the larger-than-15-inch LCDs seem to have a native resolution of 1280x1024. Come on, it''s not even 4:3!
----------------------- I am 0x539. Are you?
If you can spend the money, go for LCD. I work on both LCD and CRT and I might agree that CRT it''s better for image quality (the only real good image quality on LCD I saw on Sony), but FIRT you must take care of your eyes. On short term might not sound intresting, but after working few years on CRT you''ll notice that your eyes get tired.
Pet.
The screen is what you''ll spend your time looking at, so make sure it''s aesthetically pleasing, and large. Large screens = better.

LCD vs CRT? Eh, I dunno. I''m about to sell my two 17" CRTs and buy two 17" LCDs, but that''s because I''m very low on space, not because I consider LCDs to be ''better quality'' or something.

Oh, and go for dual monitors if your card supports it. Once you''ve tried dual monitors, you''ll never want to go back.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

thanks all, i have heard though and see with my own eyes what some LCD''s offer, which is a ghosting effect or a trail when running graphics demos or just moving your windows around. with CRT''s you dont get that much at all, if ever. the framerate is just not as fast , especially when you shy away from the native res. hey superpig, i want to find a card that supports dual monitors , one being a LCD and one a CRT. , i think all the new cards, GeForceTi and FX series and ATI Radeon supports dual monitors...
heh
Here''s the absolute best suggestion for you: go to a store and see the differences yourself. See which you prefer looking at. The ghosting on the LCD (I can''t think of the actual term right now) might or might not bother you. It bothered me, so I bought a CRT. But keep in mind, CRTs are not perfect either - good luck finding one that''s cheap and that has absolutely no geometry problems
i''m here on a tft from compaq, a 15" one, the 1520, sent together with the evo310. i''m at work currently, you know:D

there is NO ghosting, there are NO issues with that screen. he even supports "unsuported" resolutions so you can set them back:D (he just notes he cannot display them really and hacks something together:D)

it really depends (there''s a "cornea mp503" just on my right side, and that 15" is crap, with ghosting, and all sort of issues..).

just go and watch in the shop. i''ve done that, and the cheapest one actually looked best, so i''m happy now with my AOC 18.1" tft at home. brilliant image, nearly no ghosting (yes there is a bit..)..

never buy a screen without watching it first. same holds true to crt even. i had a crap crt, here at work we have some old compaq 17" crt, they are great

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

well at work we have 22" Inch LCD Monitors and run them at 1900X1440, so i guess the ghosting is more apparent the higher res you go. i want to have a monitor at least at the 1600X1200 level or something close to that and have a good picture with no ghosting..of course a nice geForceFX Ultra 5900 256MB RAM or the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro always helps out matters.
heh
I had dual monitors at work....
... then we hooked up a new print server

.....i lost half of my life...

Try entering data grid column styles with sql enterprise manager on the same screen.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement