Model file formats

Started by
9 comments, last by Drooling Iguana 20 years, 8 months ago
I''m looking for a good file format for the 3D models that I''m going to load into my game. I find most graphical 3D modeling applications to be incredibly awkward, so I''d like a format there I can just enter vertex and texture coordinates into a text editor and then run a utility to "compile" it into the model format. However, I want my game to be easily moddable, so I''l also like the files to either be editable from a mainstream commercial 3D modeling program or to be easily convertable from a file format used by a mainstream commercial 3D modeling program. I''d also like something that I could use without paying royalties or liscense fees, both for the format itself and for the utility I''d use to create my files. Any suggestions?
Advertisement
I use md5 from Doom3, it''s plain text, but there isn''t lot of exporter (only maya for bones). But with Doom3 out, it will be very commun I think.

.lwo are plain text too, lightwave format, used by Doom3 too for static mesh.

You could very easily create an Opengl program where you could type in your vertices and texture coordinates, and could instantly see the result (this would really make things easier, I promise you) and edit them dynamically.

PLUS you could then save it in whichever format you wouldn''t and wouldn''t have to worry about parsing anything.

Just a thought, but it depends on what you are modelling. If it''s living creatures, you''ll really need to use a 3d modeller. If it''s (potentially) simpler shapes such as space ships, then you can stand to do it a little more manually.

Jeff
It's space ships and asteroids. I'm writing an Asteroids clone right now, and when I'm finished with that I intend to expand its codebase into a multiplayer space battle game.

The problem with your idea, Jeffno10, is that, like I said, I'd like the game to be modable, so I need a file format that can be edited in popular 3D modelling programs, even if I don't want to use a program like that myself. Also, I'm anxious to get this project off the gound, so I don't want to have to write a seperate program to make my models.

[edited by - Drooling Iguana on August 11, 2003 7:01:40 PM]
Are the file formats mdl, md2, md3 free or i have to pay some
royalties for using them in a commercial game?
You can use them for free, so long as you don''t use any Id proprietary software to create them..

Another really easy-to-get-going format is ASE... it really depends on the modeler you''re using... Milkshape''s own format is pretty simple, but you can pick through the ASE format using notepad, not a hex-editor...
You can use them for free, so long as you don''t use any Id proprietary software to create them..

Another really easy-to-get-going format is ASE... it really depends on the modeler you''re using... Milkshape''s own format is pretty simple, but you can pick through the ASE format using notepad, not a hex-editor...
-=|Mr.Oreo|=-Code Monkey, Serpent Engine
I just posted a similar question. It''s real annoying because it''s a lot of work to get a model from a file struture to gl. And another problem is which program does your modeler use. If you convert it from say 3dsMAX you''ll have a hard time figuring out how the file structure works but if you use some quake file structure is it easy to get models?????

Could someone tell me about a file structure that is simple with a 3ds modelling program that is easy to use and supports that file structure. Or does these other file structures use converters??

NICK
Drooling Iguana : ASE is definitly what you want. Pop open 3DS Max, create a box, add a UVW map to it, assign it a material with a texture, export it as an ASE, and then you can just pour through the file format yourself.

NickKirt : The .3ds file format and the .md3/4/5 file format all import into vertex arrays pretty well. Writting your own 3DSMax exporter isn''t as hard as it seems.

-=|Mr.Oreo|=-
Code Monkey, l33t.ca
-=|Mr.Oreo|=-Code Monkey, Serpent Engine

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement