creating vast beautiful landscapes...

Started by
9 comments, last by xyz 20 years, 8 months ago
Hi, How can I create those vast, beautiful landscapes that can be seen in games such as Far Cry: (this is a really pretty pic! ) Thanks [edited by - xyz on August 13, 2003 3:32:10 PM]
Advertisement
That''s a good question, I''d like to know too.
It must take a huge amount of memory to store all the textures and vertices, etc......
How do they do it?
using a height map and some sort of ROAM system i would assume
Wow, those reflections are really nice. I''m guessing they use a lot of progressive meshes or something for all those far off trees, although I really have no idea. They probably use a lot of optimizations like that. With my skills, if I make a scene half that detailed it''s slow =/
There was an interesting post about trees earlier on.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=157049
Making something like that by yourself would be one helluva achievemnent. Not only does it take artistic skills but some serious optimization. BTW that game has one powerful AI "engine" too, I´m actually more impressed by it than the graphics.
I read it does proper rag doll physics too, so if you were to kill 30 people in the same place, they all pile up on eachother and don't fall through to the floor.

EDIT: BTW, that's a good picture for another post I want to make, hope you don't mind me stealing it!!!

---
When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!

[edited by - theZapper on August 13, 2003 5:29:46 PM]
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
If you're looking for all the goodies of the engine, just check this out: CryEngine Tech Demo

[edited by - xyz on August 13, 2003 5:30:59 PM]
do you know any good heightmap editor/creator?
I guess the far away stuff is converted to images and then billboarded on the island.

But the island... geeeh. =)
Dont ask me how to do that, my GL stuff lags and stutters and goes utterly slow at 2-300 polygons....

"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)
"Game Maker For Life, probably never professional thou." =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement