Milkshape, and animating without skeleton.

Started by
9 comments, last by Enselic 20 years, 8 months ago
I have MS3d 1.6.5 and is wondering if it is possible to animate models without a skeleton (like the md2 models). I have searched GD and Google without succes. The only tutorials available is WITH a skeleton.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Advertisement
You could just draw the key frames out by hand and LERP between them to provide the animation.
With ''LERP'', do you mean tweening the vertices?
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
*bump*

Yes I''m an animation noob. Btw, does anyone know a tutorial where skeletons is not used?
Why would you not want to use a skeleton? It makes it a lot easier to animate, as well as resulting in better looking animation. It seems to me like you''re trying to purposefully take a step backward.
I don''t think I need that kind of advanced animation in my game.

Maybe it isn''t that much harder to implement than non-skeletonbased animation?
quote:Original post by Enselic
I don''t think I need that kind of advanced animation in my game.

Maybe it isn''t that much harder to implement than non-skeletonbased animation?

I actually find it easier (overall). I mean the setting up is more difficult, because you have to create the skeleton and then bind it to vertices (which can be a tricky process).. but once you''re done with the setup it makes it a fair bit easier, IMO.
quote:Original post by Enselic
I have MS3d 1.6.5 and is wondering if it is possible to animate models without a skeleton (like the md2 models). I have searched GD and Google without succes. The only tutorials available is WITH a skeleton.

Yes, you can. You just have to do the skeletal->vertex animation conversion yourself. Milkshape is all skeletal, so its not going to do the conversion for you, at least not in the SDK code.

[edited by - afaik on August 20, 2003 11:51:08 AM]
Enselic,

You have to use bones to animate the mesh in Milkshape(or any 3d modeling program), but when you export you only export the mesh deformations. Not really sure how it works in Milkshape but from my past experience the md2 exporters(3dsmax) don''t export out the acutal bones, but just the deformations of the mesh. Infact before I had max plugins for md2 I made q2 plug-in player models by exporting out each frame of animation and compiled it together in a program called Quake2Modeller.

John

Endboss Games
I have used milkshape to create md2 models. It''s real easy. build a model. add a skeleton. animate it. save it (as ms3d. for backup) and then click export->quakeII md2. voilá.One complete md2 model without skeleton.

There is only one problem with milkshape''s md2 exporter. It doesn''t optimize the mesh for trianglestrips or triangle fans AFAIK which makes rendering slower than standard quakeII models.

If i''m incorrect about the last bit, I really, really like to hear how I can optimize the mesh!

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Game Development][RoboBlast][Articles][GD Emporium][Webdesign][E-mail]

GSACP: GameDev Society Against Crap Posting
To join: Put these lines in your signature and don''t post crap!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement