OpenGL & XBox

Started by
8 comments, last by Damien 23 years, 10 months ago
Anyone know if Opengl will be supported/used as a graphics api on xbox titles, Will DX7 be the api to use for xbox or is there the option/support to use other api''s
Advertisement
OpenGL will be supported, because they''ll be using NVidia graphics hardware.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
That isn´t really true....
MS(as natural) does only want Directx running on the X-Box so that there can´t be made ports to OS´es not from MS.However a some famous Programmers(including Carmack) told that they want OpenGl on the XBox and tell they won´t realease Xbox-Ports at the same time their products ship for the PC if there is no OpenGl.Which means they port the games to Directx only after release and do no write games specific for the XBox.They have reached their aim:No games for mac no games for the pc which eliminates linux-gaming too....

Personally I think the XBox is the most bad thing happening to the PC-Gaming ever.Microsoft buys the good companys(Bungie....) and forces them to code for XBox only.This makes MS monopol-status even worse but the courts think only about stupid splitting ideas which in my opinion don´t change anything....
And I really don´t understand whats going on:Nearly all PC-Gaming magazines hate the XBOX and write columns about the dead of pc-gaming but at the same time the report news about the Xbox
as much as possible.Why does averybody talk about it?Please keep silence and ignore the XBox everything-else makes it even worse.

Don´t want to start a flame war,please!

Greets,XBTC!
From OpenGL.org:
quote:
The X-Box & OpenGL
06/26/00 Microsoft''s X-Box is currently spec''d to support OpenGL (from Nvidia). slashdot.org has a running commentary discussion with contributions by Carmack on how hardware vendors are able to expose all of their unique functionality through OpenGL extensions including for X-Box. VoodooExtreme posted comments from Raven Software about why OpenGL is so important to X-Box and the future of gaming..

Check www.opengl.org for more details.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment..
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Hi MadKetithV,
We just can hope that they (MS) will do as promised in the spec . ------ lol -------- man, we all know M$
Why should they ??
Just because some game developers, only program for XBox, when there is a OpenGL impl.?

That''s my point of view:
Ms will promise to make OpenGL availabe, but this is so "hard" to do, that they finnaly didn''t manage to inlcude it into the first Xbox dev kit. But they promise to include it into the next release of the dev kit.... or in the third... they promise .... they promise....
And then Carmack wants to release Quake4 on the Xbox, BUT there is no OpenGL.... so in the end he will have to port it to d3d. Because even he can''t afford to develop a game without releasing it.

Maybe I am wrong,... well i hope so...
You do not worry about OpenGL support of Xbox.

You can make OpenGL game for Indrema.

Indrema will open widely more games development than Playstation2 or Xbox: Indrema SDK is supposed to be much more inexpensive than Xbox SDK and Playstation2SDK.

Indrema is available earlier than Xbox,

http://www.indrema.com/servlet/site
Here''s a though on the x-box:
If you''re so frightened by it, don''t buy the damn thing. The power still lies in the consumer, remember that. Buy PC games, and not console games. Make the xbox flop on the ground and die. The only reason Bill is so big and bad is because everyone bought his garbage OS (which is better now) and the rest of his products.

-BacksideSnap-
Backside-Snap:How right,how right....
Is it illegal to run a anti-XBox-protest-site?
No seriously is there anybody here who would even think about buying a XBox?(I don´t think so ,´cause all real pc-gamers fear for their platform,so maybe M$´s XBox will really flop....).

P.s.:In my point of view Micro$oft reaches world-domination if the XBox doesn´t flop and perhaps not only in the PC-bussiness....

Greets,XBTC!

Edited by - XBTC on June 28, 2000 9:44:14 AM
Yeah it might be right that most of the people participating in this Forum would not buy the X-Box, but we aren''t the big Part. I mean the People which buy an X-Box are those, that have an Console right now, or only wan''t pure gaming, and don''t want to buy an PC and don''t have one.
But those People only know: hey there is a new cool console, and it has cool Features that the Playstation3 doesnt have, and they buy it. Then they buy the Console Games, and will not recogize the PC-Game Market going down... The last Part might be a bit to Fantastic
But Fact is that we aren''t the People which MS hopes to buy the X-Box.

Lars
--------> http://www.larswolter.de <---------
Hmm....Makes sense but anyway your second statement is perhaps not too fantastic,yeah its sad....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement