Makefiles using GNU make

Started by
1 comment, last by outRider 20 years, 8 months ago
I have some specific needs and after reading the documentation either I'm missunderstanding how things work or there's no easy way to do what I need. I have some specific c/cpp modules that need to be compiled as ARM code, and others that need to be compiled as THUMB. I figure I'd have two lists, arm_list = this.o that.o thumb_list = foo.o bar.o then, for the rules $(arm_list):: %.o: %.c $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(ARMFLAGS) $< $(arm_list):: %.o: %.cpp $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $(ARMFLAGS) $< Repeat for thumb, and repeat for asm sources that are either passed to the compiler to be preprocessed, (.S) or the assembler (.s). As far as I can understand it, this wont work because some .o files exist as .c files, others as .cpp files, so somewhere along the line I get a 'no rule to build target' or whatever the specific message is for this.c when make looks for this.cpp to build this.o from. I've tried %.o: %.c and %.o: %.cpp as the target : Pre-requisite but that just takes all .c and .cpp files in the directory and builds them with one set of flags, and I can't specify arm/thumb. If anybody knows their makefiles very well I'd like to pick your brain. ------------ - outRider - [edited by - outRider on August 18, 2003 9:01:38 PM]
Advertisement
Try like this:

arm_list = this.o that.o
thumb_list = foo.o bar.o

arm list:
$(arm_list):: %.o: %.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $(ARMFLAGS) $<

thumb_list:
$(arm_list):: %.o: %.cpp
$(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) $(THUMBFLAGS) $<

then just type

make arm_list
make thumb_list
You could also try

arm_cpp_list = $(patsubst %.cpp, %.o, $(wildcard *.cpp))
arm_c_list = $(patsubst %.c, %.o, $(wildcard *.c))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement