Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

direct 3d failure_ any clue why?

Started by CdrCargil Aug 20, 2003 at 3:22 PM 0 replies 850+ views
Original Post
CdrCargil
CdrCargil
I recently had some windows errors i couldn't get rid of. So I formatted and started over. I reinstalled win98se, the latest Nvidia drivers Ver 45.23, and DX 9.0b. This is the same setup I had before formatting and all my games worked fine, BF1942, AAO, SOF2, etc etc.......... Now I run dx diag and this error when testing direct 3d. Test failed at step 8 (creating 3d device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 generic failure. and a couple others. Since this is a fresh install of everything, windows on up, what could be causing it? I have reformatted it twice with the same effect. I even cleared my CMOS this time before installing all drivers. This is the EXACT same set of directx and video drivers before I reformatted my HD.. please email me for any advice here's the error lines from DXDIAG Registry: OK DDraw Status: Enabled D3D Status: Enabled AGP Status: Enabled DDraw Test Result: Not run D3D7 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure) D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code) D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code) [edited by - CdrCargil on August 20, 2003 4:26:32 PM]
S1CA
S1CA

Do you have the SDK installed ?

If so, try ramping up the debug output level in the control panel and run one of the samples in the debugger or alternatively run dbmon.exe in the DXSDK\Bin\DXUtils folder of the SDK before you run DXDIAG.


What resolution and bit depth is your desktop set to ?

Try something safe like 800x600 as the resolution and then either 16bit or 32bit as the colour bit depth. Repeat the test at both bit depths. If the DXDIAG tests work in one bitdepth but not in the other. Go to the Advanced options of the nVidia display settings, the Direct3D options in particular.

If there''s an option called something like "Match display depth to Z Buffer depth if unequal", then enable it and try the tests again.

Also try running the DirectDraw tests - those will test a few more parts of your graphics hardware/driver combination.

--
Simon O''Connor
Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.