Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Chaos Sphere v3.0

Started by HellspawnXIII Aug 29, 2003 at 3:36 PM 46 replies 6.2k views
Original Post
HellspawnXIII
HellspawnXIII
Hi! I would like to present my very first game: Chaos Sphere. I originally got the idea from a TI-83 calculator game, but I've expanded on the basis of the game drastically. It took me about 5 months to program, but I've been reluctant to post it because of the size of the download (16Mb). However, I can usually download it in about 1 minute with a RoadRunner connection. Features include: 3 difficulty settings, 60 total levels, and awesome music from Enrapture. Estimated System Requirements: 300Mhz or better processor 30Mb hard drive space 16Mb RAM 8Mb video card DirectX 8.1 or higher
Screenshots
You can download the nicely-packaged install program here: ChaosSphereInstall.exe Or just the zipped version here: ChaosSphere.zip Thanks for checking it out!
HellspawnXIII Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. [edited by - HellspawnXIII on August 29, 2003 4:37:22 PM] [edited by - HellspawnXIII on August 30, 2003 4:05:32 AM]
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
shurcool
shurcool
thanks for providing a zipped version. <3

---
shurcool
wwdev
Wildfire
Wildfire
Dang, that''s addictive... very cool music too

Hm... 700+ moves in the first of those yellow levels... that good
How do I set my laser printer n stun? o
Cipher3D
Cipher3D
excellent, excellent, addictive game. very well made. only two gripes:

selecting items on the menu is kinda lagged (keyboard delay set too high).

2) I CAN"T BEAT LEVEL 11! ARGHHHHHHH!

Oh yeah - history''s worst score for Chaos Sphere Level 11: 4000 moves.

Ciph


Excellent, excellent game.

How to beat Level 11???!?!?!
I eat heart attacks
Cipher3D
Cipher3D
how do you beat level 11?
anybody?
anybody? its driving me and my mom crazy trying to figure it out. the problem is the two orbs down the middle!
I eat heart attacks
HellspawnXIII
HellspawnXIII
Thanks for looking at it, guys. I realize that it can be quite a download

Yea, something is messed up with the input on the main menu, you think just changing the delay would fix it? And as far as level 11 goes, try this as soon as you start the level:

Space, Left, Up, Space, Up, Right, Space


Anyways, things really get interesting on the Advanced and Master levels :D


HellspawnXIII
"There''s a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
DukeAtreides076
DukeAtreides076
Yeah...it gets crazy with those invisible blocks on master. Great game, good job.
MindWipe
MindWipe
Level 3 anyone!?

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
vovansim
vovansim
Very nice game.

I played on the lowest difficulty till level 15 (finished in about 600 moves), after which, I decided to take a look at the directory to see how many levels you have total. So, I Alt-Tabbed out of the game, but when I tried to get back, the game wouldn''t come back up...

Other than that, very cool and addictive puzzle.
Vovan
HellspawnXIII
HellspawnXIII
Ah, the Alt-Tabbing situation... I haven't quite got that figured out yet. Does anything else need to be done besides re-aquiring the input and reloading all the DDraw surfaces? Do you have any suggestions of how to implement it?

Any advice would be appreciated

EDIT: Oh ya, there are 60 total levels (20 Beginner, 20 Advanced, and 20 Master).


HellspawnXIII
"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."

[edited by - HellspawnXIII on August 31, 2003 1:33:25 AM]
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
Mage2k
Mage2k
The game crashes on load on my system...

PIII 800MHz
256MB RAM
16MB TNT2

peace and (trance) out

Mage
---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
Cipher3D
Cipher3D
isntead of making your app fullsceren..make it a WS_POPUP window but do not use directdraw to set it to fullscren...and viola you have solved your fullscreen problem...just remember to make the window the sizeo f the user''s desktop resoltuion...but don''t set the game resolution to the user''s desktop resolution...keep it the same. i beet level 11! it was so simple! it just came to me last night when i was sleeping! maybe this puzzle is best solved subconciously .

I eat heart attacks
blueEbola
blueEbola
Excellent game, very addictive too.

I got to level 11 in 653 moves (I know, thats horrible). I had to restart a couple of times out of extreme confusion.

Overall, a very fun game. Great job. Have you considered putting in a little bit of animation, though? Like maybe if the balls rotated, or some subtle swirling movements in the background.
HellspawnXIII
HellspawnXIII
Hoorah! More feedback :D

Mage2k: Hmm... the only cases where I've had it crash is when the system doesn't have enough video memory. I realize that I did estimate 8Mb in my original post, but it is quite possible that it requires more than 16Mb :'(

However, when Chaos Sphere is loaded, a log.txt file is created in the main directory. When you have time, could you either post the info here or send me an email? (in portfolio) If it is indeed the video memory problem, I will simply load more images into the standard system memory instead, of which you have plenty! It shouldn't noticeably affect performance.

Cipher3D: Congrats on beating level 11! I did not intentionally try to make this a subconscious game, but it would be a neat concept if it were
Thank you for the tip about my fullscreen/Alt-Tab issue. I haven't touched this game in a few months and it'll be neat to tinker with it again.

blueEbola: 653 moves by level 11 is actually pretty good! If you press H during gameplay, it will flash the High Scores screen and my name should be up there with about 900-some moves for all 20 Beginner levels. Of course, I made the thing, so that's understandable - but most people have over 1,000 (if not 2,000!) moves by the low teen levels.

Now that you mention it, background animation (or any animation) would be very cool. But, that might be out of my capabilities. As I was programming the game, I (unfortunately) made it move-based, where nothing will happen until you press something - like no screen flipping or anything, so it might be hard to introduce a constantly running thing like that. But we shall see!

Thanks for your comments!


HellspawnXIII
"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."

[edited by - HellspawnXIII on August 31, 2003 5:33:46 AM]
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
MindWipe
MindWipe
Really... I can't beat level 3.

I can only pick up one of those orbs >_<


//

// #########

// #x#2###*#

// # #

// ##1#3####

//



See, I go down, press space, then move left, press space, move left , go down, get ord nr.1 ... and what then?! I just don't know how to get that telport-block to be at the right position so that I can solve it >_<

/MindWipe

[edited by - MindWipe on August 31, 2003 6:56:54 AM]
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Cipher3D
Cipher3D
ah...infamous level 3...try sleeping and it'll come to you...JK

ah...let me see...

copy this down:

space
down
space
down
left
down (got number 1)
space
right
space
up
space
left
up (got number 2)
space
right
space
down
space
left
down (got number 3)

GL with the other levels!


HellSpawn: how the hell did you design your levels? Are you some freaking puzzle maniac/genius?

And if you need a guy to design strategy guides for Chaos Sphere, give me a call . (Forget for a moment for that I'm a guy that couldn't get past level 11 without sleeping ). I was just kidding about the strategy guides part - i haven't even beaten the beginner levels yet -_-. But seriously, you should post like strategy guides on your website! I would buy your game if it was on a rack or something! (Hint hint) But *cough* give it *cough* to me *cough* for free. .





[edited by - Cipher3D on August 31, 2003 12:58:13 PM]
I eat heart attacks
Cipher3D
Cipher3D
Everybody download this game! Its so damn addictive!
I eat heart attacks
HellspawnXIII
HellspawnXIII
MindWipe: Yes, I''ve been told that level 3 should be bumped up a little to a higher level. You would not believe how many people get stuck on it, but it''s supposed to teach you a technique that you will use in future levels, so that''s why I put it near the beginning.

Cipher3D: Heh, thank you for suggesting to put it up for sale - even though I probably won''t do that (I like free games :D), it still means a lot to me. As for as level design goes, I probably spend half of the last semester in college with my little notebook and pen, drawing the 12x9 matricies and just fill in the blocks. Eventually for the master levels, I programmed a small random map generator, and afterwards would modify the crap out of the random level to get it to my liking.

DukeAtreides076: Wow, that''s awesome! What do you think of the Master levels? Are they too easy? Did you really beat all the Beginner and Advanced levels, or are you skipping around?

Everyone: I just got the idea of creating add-on level packs! You could just download a pack of, like, 20 more levels or something. That''d be neat :D


HellspawnXIII
"There''s a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
HellspawnXIII"There's a lot of stuff in this world that needs stepping on."
MindWipe
MindWipe
quote:
Original post by HellspawnXIII
MindWipe: Yes, I''ve been told that level 3 should be bumped up a little to a higher level. You would not believe how many people get stuck on it, but it''s supposed to teach you a technique that you will use in future levels, so that''s why I put it near the beginning.



Yeah, I understand that now. And I see that you use the same technique you use later, so I see why it''s this early.

Well, you could alter it, because everyone will understand how to get the first ord.

BTW. Great game! Really addictive!

/MindWipe
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.