Questions for people who know OpenGL pretty well!!!

Started by
15 comments, last by vish40 20 years, 7 months ago
Hey dude..

I have been working on a model format now. Its part of my engine for opengl. I have been using flexporter with 3dstudios. I would love some help with this. I have a fair amount done already. Email me at zander@echotech.ca

Later, ben
Advertisement
Oh, almost forgot.

May i remind everybody about learning GL is a lot like learning c++. At first you are scared of it then after a few months you start to get a good grip, you have the syntex down and know a few things. At that point you start to wonder what seperates you from the game programers and have no idea how to get there. Its not until you have been doing it for the next few months and you are wondering why your copy of pong is not running as fast as quake as you start to realize that you don''t know anything and now is the time to really learn.
I am getting the feeling he is at the last stage. Hes got the syntex and starting to feel confortable and wants to know what the next step is.

Later, ben
Vish''s prob is the same of mine. I''m tryin to discover how to read models. I want to know the model first. After i try to use some ready code!
"There are people who live in the reality. We recreate it!"
quote:Original post by zander76
At that point you start to wonder what seperates you from the game programers and have no idea how to get there. Its not until you have been doing it for the next few months and you are wondering why your copy of pong is not running as fast as quake as you start to realize that you don''t know anything and now is the time to really learn.
I am getting the feeling he is at the last stage. Hes got the syntex and starting to feel confortable and wants to know what the next step is.

If he feeling comfortable with OpenGL why doesnt he start learning a little bit about culling?

here are some links:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/quadtrees/
http://www.flipcode.com/misc/SamuelRanta-Eskola_BSPTrees.pdf
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/csdocs/portal.html

Implamenting quadtree culling in your terrain renderer isnt as hard as you would think it is.

www.Vision-Software.org
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -www.Vision-Software.org
Well the first thing I did when I reached this stage was start making a project. I personally made a 3D solar system thingy, but you might prefer to make a game or something. Just choose something like remaking pacman or tetris or the like. You''ll find each project has it''s own set of challenges. With pacman for instance you might choose to look into some simple AI approaches to get your ghosts to navigate the maze. When you start making a full blown project, I can guarantee you''ll run into difficulties you wouldn''t have considered when running small test apps.

Once you''ve done a bit of playing around and made a few small projects (don''t underestimate how important it is to do this) I''d suggest learning about vector/matrix math, and all the cool stuff that flows on from that, like culling, ray tracing, and collision detection. Once you''re down with most of this, make your own set of classes to do this math, and build yourself a simple raytracer and/or collision system.

If some basic informations about a model are enaught for you (vertices, UV coords, textures uset by the model, normal, ...) you can try to write a simple script for 3DStudio. Some time ago I did this and I found it not too complex (10/15 hours to learn basic concepts and write the script). My script simply wrote a text file with those informations. Loading it is then very simple. You could do this till you feel to be ready for something more advanced.
Just to test your program with a differten model (bored by cubes?:-)
Good Luck!
I think its best just to get the concepts
of how open gl works and then to start doing
some projects using the opengl features.

Do a cool project wher you can display
an object then add texures and then environment mapping.
come up with your own coloring scheme. Also
study light physics such as reflection and refraction.
I thinks thats good for the basics. plus its fun.
games rule

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement