Making a Planetarion/Utopia style game.

Started by
7 comments, last by _SHard_ 20 years, 7 months ago
Hello, this is my first post on these forums. If I wished to make a planetarion/utopia style game what would I need? I am planning to use Visual C++ for the coding, but would I need a database to store user information on? I''m a complete newbie when it comes to game design and so any help is appreciated. If I did need to use a database of some sort what would you suggest I use?
Advertisement
You should first learn a language in wich you will program. If you are a complete nOOb to programming (like I am), you should start out by taking some tutorials and/or buying a book. This worked out with me, I''m working trough a couple of tutorials at this moment. It''s (almost) impossible to just start out by making a game like Utopia, or something like that.

----->FiZZLe<-----

"A game is like christmas, you''ll never know what you''re gonna get"
----->FiZZLe<-----"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"
I''m quite new to programming, but I do know a fair bit of Visual C++. This will not be my first project, but it will be my first attempt at a game. I am not really planning to release this game on the web, just use it as a practice exercise. I was hoping a text game such as this would be a good place to start.
You should try some simple games like TETRIS, PACMAN, PONG or something like it. It's to hard to create such a big project as your 1st game.

----->FiZZLe<-----

"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"

[EDIT] Fixing grammar...

[edited by - FiZZLe on September 3, 2003 2:23:40 PM]
----->FiZZLe<-----"A game is like christmas, you'll never know what you're gonna get"
quote:
I am planning to use Visual C++ for the coding, but would I need a database to store user information on?

You should try looking up how to use files in c/c++, look up how to use binary files and text files. If you just want to make a text game then all you need is VC++.
The monkeys are listening...
A single-player Utopia game (ie: a sim) would be very easy to make. Actually, you would have a hard time getting the formulas it uses, but you could make your own game in the same style if you wanted. It wouldn't be too hard to do AI for that kind of game either. I'm afraid you might be a little disappointed if you want it to be a multiplayer game, however, as you probably need to be more advanced for that.

EDIT: BTW, making a game like Utopia is arguably easier than Tetris, or even Pong, as others have suggested. Utopia is really just an interface slapped on some fancy formulas.

[edited by - Peon on September 3, 2003 4:06:42 PM]
Peon
Make sure you know how to coee in your language. Pick up Thinking in C++: Edititon 2: Volumes 1 and 2, C++ Primer, or whatever interests you. Then, I would reccomend finding some resources on your graphics API. Use google to find tutorials. I would make sure you know how to use a graphics API and program in C++ before you do anything. I would suggest FoxPro for databases, but Microsoft Access and VB.NET might make a good team.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
Scott SimontisMy political blog
If he was serious about databases and stuff, then I would look towards MySQL (since iirc it is free for non-commericial use). Borland Builder is free also for non-commerical use which has lots of widgets for simplifying http access and stuff. For real speed we use libwww5.4. It is full of memory leaks, but once we had plugged all those that needed plugging it was stupidly quick.

Stay Lucky, Graham "Mournblade" Reeds,
http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/grahamr/
Stay Lucky, Graham "Mournblade" Reeds,ICQ: 30514803http://homepage.dtn.ntl.com/grahamr/
Thanks for all the help guys. The single-player game Peon mentioned was what I was after - just as a project. Using text/binary files was what I was hoping to do, but I thought I would ask if a database was neccessary. Thanks everyone for all your help

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement