Linux Distros

Started by
15 comments, last by Interim 20 years, 8 months ago
Mandrake, for what it is (a friendly, "Windows" oriented distro) is quite nice. It''s just as bloated as RedHat, if not more so, but it makes a lot of things really easy. Just use Mandrake for a while then switch to say Crux or Gentoo and you''ll suddenly realize all the things Mandrake does.

As for Gentoo... to me it doesn''t seem to "fit" anywhere. In many ways it tries to be Linux''s answer to FreeBSD, except it''s not nearly as nice. I''d rather just use FreeBSD. If for nothing else, having both ports and packages under FreeBSD is very nice, compiling absolutely everything gets real old after a while. I never noticed any speed increase with Gentoo compared to other Linux distros.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Interim
However, I think the the community should invest in putting more pre-compiled binaries out with emerge. But I don''t know if that appeals to the Gentoo user base.

I''m using Gentoo. I have no problems with compiling most software packages. I do start to have a problem if it takes longer than 30 minutes to compile. The only reason I don''t have OpenOffice installed is the enormous compilation time. I''m pretty sure Gentoo has binary packages of OpenOffice but I''m too lazy to look it up. IMO there should be a general rule: if a software package takes longer than 30 minutes to compile on an average Gentoo system (according to available statistics) there should be a binary available. Hmm, may be I should bring it up on Gentoo''s forums.
I''ll find out, going to give it a try for a bit. There was no way I was going to wait a few days for X, Gnome and OpenOffice to compile, but with the Stage3 I should be able to cut that down signifigantly.

AFAIK Stage 3 doesn''t include any of the packages you listed.
What''s your experience with the ebuilds? Fairly solid, buggy? Minor errors or blanket conflicts?

Solid 99.9% of the time. I''ve been using Gentoo for a few months and have a lot of packages installed. I have not had one problem yet with portage even though I use ebuilds that aren''t marked as stable.
Perhaps it wasn''t the stage 3, but the LiveCD 1.4 Disk 2 that had most of them. Just copied them over to /usr/portage/packages/All. However, since I had to emerge sync to fix some other issues, most are already outdated. Still, cut back on XFree and Gnome a bit.

I think the stage 3 had the optimized P4 base system, seemed to untar most of the core bins.

I don''t think Gentoo will stick around on my desktop. Rather invest my time hacking around with various software configs and such than the base system. Still, I think Gentoo will evolve and probably offer a good mix of their current niche as well as being a little more conservative. Cutting edge instead of bleeding edge *grin*.

Still, with their community I think they''re probably one of the more fun distributions lately. Energetic and helpful, sort of refreshing from the Debian and BSD crowds, and lately the RedHat crowd (which has gotten a bit more smug over time).

Int.
Also keep in mind that the pre-compiled stuff from Gentoo is new to 1.4, and will only improve in time. I think that it is the best distro overall, mainly because of how emerge and the rc-scripts work, it make administration much easier. The optimizations don''t really do too much for my computer, it is more "USE" flags that you add in the make.conf.
I decided to just return to my FreeBSD. Experience plus ports/packages I know. I liked Gentoo, the community from what I read, and the emerge system, but it needs some time to make some decisions I think. I do admit, had fun with Gentoo until I really needed a running system for some emergency work, then I got tired of waiting. *grin*

I do like how most of the distros are developing. I think Linux is very close to getting a solid desktop for normal users. Just need to start making some solid design work (read, boring). I found several UI shortcuts that were dups of other commands on the same menu on Red Hat for example. Not sexy work, but necessary for a consistent UI experience. But, definitely desktops are fun to tinker with now, less work, more customization and personality IMHO.

Hopefully we''ll keep getting opinions on this thread, good to keep up on opinions and new distro features, but hard to try them all.

Int.
quote:Original post by Cyberdrek
You have to keep in mind though that SuSE is not free software. Or rather not all of it is. Yast for instance is not.

Since when? I have SuSE and I got it from their ftp and it certainly comes with YaST (which I still haven''t figured out what it stands for).
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
quote:Original post by clum
quote:Original post by Cyberdrek
You have to keep in mind though that SuSE is not free software. Or rather not all of it is. Yast for instance is not.

Since when? I have SuSE and I got it from their ftp and it certainly comes with YaST (which I still haven''t figured out what it stands for).

Free software means "free as in free speech", not "free as in free beer". It''s what people sometimes call "open source", though they are in fact different.

IIRC, YaST forbids modifications and/or redistribution. It might be open source, but it''s not free software.

Hope this helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement