Original Post
I took a class in C# last Spring and it is rapidly becoming my language of choice for all my projects. Previously, I''ve been using C++ for writing real code, or Visual Basic when I needed to do fancy user interfaces (MFC is garbage). And while I know Java, I''ve never considered it to be a real development tool - though I know lots and lots of serious developers use it. I used it this summer working on IBM''s grid services toolkit. The idea of using Java for realtime games is laughable. And while there are lots of Java-to-machine code compilers the idea seems to have fizzled out years ago (Jikes is the last serious attempt I''ve seen that''s been made freely available). With respect to execution strategy, I like to think of C# as Java done right. Say what you want about Microsoft''s Consumate Evil, their dev tools are top notch.
At the moment I''m using C# to clone the game Tetris Attack (http://www.tetrisattack.net) from the SNES. I''ve never had a project come together so fast. I had a working prototype up in a couple of hours. I''ve never had a bug in C# that took longer than two minutes to fix. It''s perhaps a more RAD language than VB. I will complain about the quality of the Managed DirectX9 Docs - they are absolute crap. But, all in all, my project is coming together nicely.
I was wondering whether anyone else out there had discovered it''s possible to throw games together really fast with C#, I don''t really see many posts about it. I was also wondering if anyone knew of any websites devoted to C# game programming issues. Maybe the language is too new to have much of a following online - it''s difficult to find information on it.
I''d also be interested in finding any game-related benchmarks between C# vs. C/C++. The DirectX people at Microsoft are claiming that Managed DirectX is 98% as fast in C# as regular DirectX is from C++. This is a small price to pay to cut COM, reference counts, and other DX nastiness out of the picture.
I''ll get off my C# soapbox now...