RTS engine out there?

Started by
13 comments, last by hyrum 20 years, 8 months ago
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent. I saw Freecraft awhile ago but it appears to be gone now.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by hyrum
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent.

I saw Freecraft awhile ago but it appears to be gone now.
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program

Peon
quote:Original post by Peon
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program

Heh well my choices were like so:

Dad, teach me how to make a cartoon or a video game So...since I''m a programmer by profession as opposed to a designer

quote:Original post by hyrum
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent.

Why not? I was coding in BASIC when I was that age.

--hellz

I don''t know what your problem is, but I was programming BASIC at that age too.

[qoute]Original post by hyrum

Now, I''m not sure what Freecraft is, but if that is something like C/C++, a 7 year old may no be able to go there yet...
It appeared to be a set up somewhat like RPG Maker. So you''re not looking at much code but more of a piece together thing I can help him with.

As for coding and ages - I too was around 8 when I started coding in BASIC on a C64
Freecraft was a warcraft II clone. They got in trouble and had to shut down. Upsetting, really.

Far too much time has passed
For us to lament that we were in love.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

I don''t know what your problem is, but I was programming BASIC at that age too
I really don''t think a 7 year old has enough understanding of even basic concepts, such as variables, but I might be wrong. Now if the OP wanted to make a new RTS for his kid, and his kid took more of a designer role, I could see that working a little bit better. Programming text / basic games in BASIC != programming an RTS in BASIC.

Peon
quote:
As for coding and ages - I too was around 8 when I started coding in BASIC on a C64

got you beat by about a year, i started around 7 on the C64 (i still have the thing too, im attached to it ) even that young it only took me a month or so to get up to making a simple breakout game using text. (i started by making a O bounce around the screen, then i started adding the block character in places and made the O bounce off the them, and removing the block, and then i added a paddle, a life counter, and finally removed a life and reset the O if the ball hit the bottom, so dont say a 7 year old cant learn to program)

to get back to the topic however, here''s about 500 of what you''re looking for http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=81

BASIC isn''t a language, it''s a toy =)

.lick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement