Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

RTS engine out there?

Started by hyrum Sep 11, 2003 at 3:40 PM 13 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
hyrum
hyrum
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent. I saw Freecraft awhile ago but it appears to be gone now.
Peon
Peon
quote:
Original post by hyrum
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent.

I saw Freecraft awhile ago but it appears to be gone now.
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program

Peon
hyrum
hyrum
quote:
Original post by Peon
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program




Heh well my choices were like so:

Dad, teach me how to make a cartoon or a video game So...since I''m a programmer by profession as opposed to a designer

hellz
hellz
quote:
Original post by Peon
quote:
Original post by hyrum
Looking to play around with some game engines out there mostly for my son who is interested in making little games (he is 7). I am wondering if there are any RTS engines out there either free or pay that are half decent.

I saw Freecraft awhile ago but it appears to be gone now.
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program




Why not? I was coding in BASIC when I was that age.

--hellz
hyrum
hyrum
It appeared to be a set up somewhat like RPG Maker. So you''re not looking at much code but more of a piece together thing I can help him with.

As for coding and ages - I too was around 8 when I started coding in BASIC on a C64
Senses777
Senses777
Freecraft was a warcraft II clone. They got in trouble and had to shut down. Upsetting, really.



Far too much time has passed
For us to lament that we were in love.
"I want to make a simple MMORPG first" - Fenryl
Peon
Peon
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Peon
Sorry, don''t know of any, but I hope you don''t hope to teach a 7 year old how to program


I don''t know what your problem is, but I was programming BASIC at that age too
I really don''t think a 7 year old has enough understanding of even basic concepts, such as variables, but I might be wrong. Now if the OP wanted to make a new RTS for his kid, and his kid took more of a designer role, I could see that working a little bit better. Programming text / basic games in BASIC != programming an RTS in BASIC.


Peon
Raptor85
Raptor85
quote:

As for coding and ages - I too was around 8 when I started coding in BASIC on a C64

got you beat by about a year, i started around 7 on the C64 (i still have the thing too, im attached to it ) even that young it only took me a month or so to get up to making a simple breakout game using text. (i started by making a O bounce around the screen, then i started adding the block character in places and made the O bounce off the them, and removing the block, and then i added a paddle, a life counter, and finally removed a life and reset the O if the ball hit the bottom, so dont say a 7 year old cant learn to program)

to get back to the topic however, here''s about 500 of what you''re looking for http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/trove_list.php?form_cat=81

Aerolithe
Aerolithe
There''s no set age on when you can and can''t learn to program. If you have a computer with a compiler and can read you should be able to learn to program, the question is wether or not a seven-year-old is willing to sit down and read.
nonnus29
nonnus29
I started with BASIC on a TRS-80 model 1 when I was 1.5 so nyah. BASIC on a c-64 turned me off of computers for years (well, that and girls). Why an rts? Why not galaga or pacman?

Oh yeah, I've got the freecraft source on my harddrive; email me if you want it.

[edited by - nonnus29 on September 12, 2003 11:04:19 PM]

[edited by - nonnus29 on September 12, 2003 11:05:32 PM]
hyrum
hyrum
quote:
Original post by nonnus29
Why not galaga or pacman?



Hmm, I suppose...is there an engine somewhere? Reason why I''m looking for a good engine is because he IS just getting into things...

Want to ease him into it since he is just 7 If I start talking about objects and references etc etc, he might just say it''s time to watch Pokemon or something
Peon
Peon
I think a Galaga or Pacman, or even a Pong game would be a lot more practical. I guess I was wrong about nto being able to program at seven, as the general consensus is that it is very possible. I still think an *RTS* would be impossible though. It was quite a challenge for me to understand, and the implement the A* pathfinding algorithm, which I imagine would be used for an RTS; I seriously doubt a 7 year old could understand something like that. What about AI? That's a huge topic in and of itself. And for an RTS, you probably DO need objects, and a lot of them. I dunno, I guess I'm just not convinced that a 7 year old, unless they're a child prodigy, could program an RTS.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I ALSO programmed when I was younger (11) but it was things like choose-your-own-adventures, madlib games, and VERY BASIC ASCII games. I really think at least a very basic understanding of variables is absolutely critical to program anything; I didn't REALLY understand what I was doing much later.

[edited by - Peon on September 13, 2003 1:11:16 AM]
Peon

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.