Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Video Game Violence

Started by Shannon Barber Jul 5, 2000 at 12:54 AM 41 replies 3.4k views
Original Post
Shannon Barber
Shannon Barber
Studies that correlate one behavior with another do not and cannot determine cause and effect relationships. It is not, and cannot, be known whether individuals that play aggressive video games are prone to violent acts, or individuals that (will) perform violent acts are prone to play aggressive video games. I am inclined to believe such aggressive video games (street fighter, punch-out, Doom, etc) sublimate not stimulate aggression. If more people vented anger in the virtual world, the real world would have less rage in it, not more. Unless of course you suck at a game and it enrages you (I’ve never thrown a Nintendo controller at the screen…)… as any personal insufficiency would and does. Perhaps learning to control such rage can be taught using crappy games (notice how the games I am bad at, are suddenly crappy ), and be carried over into real world frustrations.
The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
nes8bit
nes8bit
Violence just makes the game a little more realistic. If you want a cool game that doesn''t contain violence, then you better have a good reason not to.

------------------------
Captured Reality
ARCHIGAMER
ARCHIGAMER
I agree games need violence but whenever my nephews play game with me (one 9 and the other 4) after the game they begin hitting me and stuff thinking it''s all cool. it doesn''t hurt though. Its true game violence does make youger people act violent. really sad isn''t it.
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
Phantasm
Phantasm
As far as I''ve ever seen, little kids are violent little bastards, anyway. They can be influenced by television and movies and even books just as much as computer games. In fact...I personally think the closest thing to a computer game is a book, in which you sometimes feel as if you are partaking in the adventure. Nobody complains about the violence in The Oddessy or The Divine Comedy. Hell, in an old Greek play, the main character stabs his own eyes out, and his wife kills herself. And violence TO children is also often a large issue ("Oh, my God, in The Patriot, they give children guns!"). In the same play mentioned before, the parents of the main character hadn''t wanted him, so they pierced his ankles, tied a rope throuh the piercings and tied him to a stake in the ground on a hillside to die. Of course, no one ever mentions books. Why? Gee...I wonder...because they just wanna blame something, and video games are newer than anything else.

P h a n t a s m
"I'd feel safer if the helicopter had an ejection seat."
Phantasm
dog135
dog135
Ya wanna talk about violence for children? Just read Mother Goose!

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
Facehat
Facehat
Hmm, I never thought that game induced violence until I saw the ramblings of nes8bit in #gamedev.

If he''s even nearly as violent in real life as he is in SOF...



----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
nes8bit
nes8bit
quote:
Original post by The Senshi
----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn''t seem quite so funny.


Ahem...speaking of violence.

------------------------
Captured Reality
Facehat
Facehat
Hey, at least i''m not tripping them. Sounds like something you''d do, though.



----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
terminate
terminate
Do i support violence in video games: it depends, i dont think people are generally influenced by vidioe games. Those that re were very sick to begin with. The ESRB is doing a good job by rating games according to violence, it is now the parents job to keep any unapropriate vid games from little kids.

+---------------------------------------------
Help me program my 3d game
I just got a new copy of Lear C++ in 21 days!
+---------------------------------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music.
DarkMage139
DarkMage139
I don't think you can be made to act violent by any video game. You would have to be pretty crazy in the first place, even before you played the game.

- DarkMage139
"Real game developers don't change the rules. Real game developers don't break the rules. Real game developers make the rules!"
"Originality (in games) is the spice of life!"

Edited by - DarkMage139 on July 6, 2000 8:36:04 AM
DarkMage139
Twig Meister
Twig Meister
Video game violence sadly does influence people. Face it. We''ve all seen a violent films and though "F**k me. That looks cool".
Goodfellas - Who wouldn''t want that sort repect ?
Any Arnie film - Yer. I''d like to puch people through walls

It fairly safe to assume that video games have the same sort of influence over the impressional minds of youngsters. In games if you get shot then you get back up and try again. In Hollywood if the hero gets shot, no problem. "I aint got time to bleed"

Dunno if it was mentioned but over here in England yesterday a boy was cut up and killed Reservour Dogs style - Same song sung by gang, ear cut off. Then beaten to death. By a gang of 14 & 15 years old. Over here Reservour Dogs is an 18 film. They should never have even seen it. While I not saying that the boy would not have been killed, it''s doubtful that they would have sung the same song and sliced off his ear if the film had never been made.

On the other hand, using the same example, what was the boy doing going out a 0230 in the morning. Where was his parents ?

As a soceity we must take responsability. We cannot keep pushing out violence to impressionable youngsters in the grip of testerone filled urges and with little control over there impulses and not expect them to react as children. They are still children. They need role models.

I''m in an interesting quandry. I like violent video games, I like violent films. I belive in free speech. But I see a need to censor them for society''s sake.

"It''s in your nature to destroy yourself" - Terminator 2
BadCredit
BadCredit
The world we live in is violent. Playing a video game and killing someone in that video doesn''t make him or her violent! Watching a movie with a little death and destruction doesn''t make anyone violent. It may increase or give the end user an adrenaline rush but in no way does a 2-hour film change a calm child to a psycho killer. The community is not responsible for the upbringing of your child. The parents of that child have that responsibility and are the one that influence how that child will grow up.

It is a fact that children of abused parents are more likely to become abusive themselves/violent in general

Sorry but I must say that if a person kills and blames it on a movie or game then that person was not normal to begin with!
wrenhal
wrenhal
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

>> I belive in free speech. But I see a need to censor them for society's sake. >>

Where you start burning books, you end up burning people.

Are people less violent in countries that do not have many computers or videos? If that was the case then Africa would be a peaceful paradise rather than the continent of war and bloodshed that it is.

It is a popular opinion in western societies today that violence in games and movies cause violence in real-life, just like it once was a popular opinion in our society that the earth was flat, but there is very little actual evidence to support either of those theories.

Henry


I know several people that let their 6-8 year olds watch movies like "Sleepy Hollow", and the "Chucky" series of movies. These children are VERY violent and act out to other children in ways that are VERY irresponsible and beyond that of other children. Who do you blame? First I would blame the parents for not having the sense to not take their children to movies like this. I do think the movies and games they are allowed to watch and play are causing their violent tendencies, but I also think that their should be more of an education to parents on the effects of these things on children. I am a parent of 4 children and I have seen with my oldest (8 years) how things around him greatly influence his attitude. He's also the one that came home and recited to me the story of "Sleepy Hollow" (in immense and gory detail) because one of the kids in his class told everybody there about it. For those of you who ARE kids, I recommend you evaluate your world around you a little better. Being a parent has opened my eyes alot and you will suddenly realize that alot of the 'bull' that the movie industry and game industry try to tell you about this topic, is nothing but that: BULLSH$7 .



Edited because of a sig problem. Sorry.

B e S
"It's da bomb, baby"

Edited by - wrenhal on July 6, 2000 2:59:15 PM

Edited by - wrenhal on July 6, 2000 3:06:15 PM
wrenhal
wrenhal
I'm just testing my sig. Sorry people.


B e S
"It's da bomb, baby"

Edited by - wrenhal on July 6, 2000 3:09:56 PM

This sucks, because the first time I post my sig looks like this:
B e S
"It's da bomb, baby"



and doesn't show up correctly, but then if I edit the post and make NO changes it shows up correctly??? why???
and why are my '<' on my bold tags changed to '['??



Edited by - wrenhal on July 6, 2000 3:12:22 PM
omegasyphon
omegasyphon
i personally like game violence and i wish someone would create a game that is so over the top with violence that its funny
Potsticker
Potsticker
They did it was called Postal...


As far as violence. It''s just a form of game interaction, but by no means should game developers look at it as the only one. A good game designer shouldn''t worry about having violence or not, but should be able to create a game that is entertaining to play.

Look at Simcity. no violence but a great game.
Worms was cartoon violence and a great game
Doom was gorey violence and a great game.

BadCredit
BadCredit
quote:
Original post by omegasyphon

i personally like game violence and i wish someone would create a game that is so over the top with violence that its funny


I had once (about 18 months ago) wrote a story line for a game called "In the life of a Mad Man"... It was basically about random senseless violence that dealt with the life of a mass murderer from the abused age of 7 to the old age of 42 where the user would be executed by the legal system.. Took me about 3 months of meetings and work, but went no where.... The fear of a company being portrayed as supporting that type of violence prevents games like these from being published.

The best way for a game to succeed like that would be for a smaller startup to produce such a game!

kinda like "I have no mouth and I must scream"

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.