• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loading compressed textures with DX8

This topic is 5255 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''ve got a question about using compressed textures with DX8. Basically I''d like to use the D3DPOOL_DEFAULT pool for my textures but I can''t find a way to load them (I don''t have a .DDS file for individual textures but just the raw bytes that I need to put into the surface). With the MANAGED pool it''s easy, just lock the texture and copy it. DEFAULT pool won''t let me lock it. So what I did is use CreateImageSurface() to get a surface I can lock, copy the data into that surface, then use D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface() to copy the image surface into the first surface level of the texture. This works fine for non-compressed formats but when I try to do this with a compressed texture the D3DXLoadSurfaceFromSurface() gives me this error in the debug console: Direct3D8: (ERROR) :Hardware Blt failed. CopyRects failed None of the documentation I can find suggests that this function should fail in this case but I guess it does. Anyway so has anybody found a way to load a compressed texture into the DEFAULT pool?

Advertisement

• Advertisement