good books on DX9 game programming for C++

Started by
14 comments, last by Leet125 20 years, 6 months ago
are there any good books on DX9 game programming for C++ that are for beginners, i have a mild understanding of C++ and i wanna see what i can do with games, if anyone knows some good books for DX9 in C++ for beginners throw em at me, well not literaly but u know what i mean
Advertisement
The most intro level book I found was:
''The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming'' Walsh, Prima Tech
It''s DX8 so you''ll need to reference the DX9 sdk. . .
By the way, the DX SDK is one of the best pieces of game API documentation I have ever seen.

If your comfortable with SDKs and want to jump right into the good stuff then skip the zen book and get:
''Real-Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX'' Dempski, Prima Tech.
This book is more fun but less intro

If that book is still too slow then try:
''Advanced Animation Techniques...'' Prima Tech
I can''t remember the author''s name and but all of the books are in the LaMothe series so your local bookstore would be the best place to go and see which book is right for you!

Hope that helps.
how about zsome books that use DX9 specificaly, and are more game programing oriented
I have "introducing to 3d game porgramming with directx 9" and i can tell you its a great book, not only for beguinners, but for more advanced''s as well, since it covers all from innicialization to high level shading language. www.moon-labs.com for more info. also use the sdk documentation, its also really great.
yet, another stupid signature..
I''ve found that most beginner books are too templated w/own code to be good examples of DX (I cite:
''Game Programming All In One'' DeSouse, for example.)

An exception to this rule is:
''Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus'' LaMothe, but it deals with quite a bit of Win32 basics that you might not need.

NOTE:
Creating a DirectX 8 Input device (keyboard, mouse, etc.) in...
DirectX8
ex. IDirectInputDevice8
becomes...
DirectX9
ex. IDirectInputDevice9
As you can see, it is merely a number change between the two and since DirectX is backward compatible both interfaces work with DirectX 9.
Used in conjunction with the SDK a book on DirectX8 will suit you fine.

The MAIN reason for DirectX9 specific books is for Direct3D and that is why the previous books I suggested dealt with D3D predominantly. Plus, you can get a D3D book and Dave''s OpenGL Game Programming for the rest and show support for one of the founders of this great site.
well how about this book: Game Programming Gems

is that more for advanced programmers or will it work for a beginner?
Believe it or not, one of the posters up there is right. The DX9 SDK is an excellent source for learning Directx 9. Believe me, i''ve got 2 directx books and now i''ve realized that, the Documentation for it you can download is just as good..although it might seem kind of dry. Its better then paying 50 bucks for it. But trust me, if you''ve got decent background in C++, the only thing that''ll slow you down when learning Directx is probably some of the math, although a lot of it is done for you with a few function calls . But before you buy a book, just check out the Online Documentation for it. If you feel that the documentation is rather dull, then go to a book store and check out Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 before you buy it. I have it and i don''t think its too bad, the only issue is that, well in my opinion, its very similar to the Online documentation.

no theory`
no theory`
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
well how about this book: Game Programming Gems

is that more for advanced programmers or will it work for a beginner?

if you ask me, i''d say yes, but that''s my personal opinion. It''s not really focused on using a specific API though, and you seem to be looking for DX9 stuff, i''d say get that book later,in a while after you get a good handle on the API and its 3d concepts

no theory`
no theory`
i decided to go ahead and get Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 as posted above, looks promising, thanks!
The zen book is riddled with errors from what I''ve heard (and have witnessed though I put it down long before the end)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement