warnings or cautions before i dive into direct 3d C++?

Started by
13 comments, last by fireking 20 years, 6 months ago
quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
quote:Original post by fireking
yeah, cuz open gl is hardly ever officially updated

WTF are you talking about? OpenGL 1.5 was released after Direct3D. The only reason to learn Direct3D if you know OpenGL is if you want to know both for compatibility, or if you really don''t like OpenGL for some reason.

well i mean its implementation on operating systems, such as windows, i think the last was 1.1? or something... any new functionality goes through the ARB board, for extensions

open gl isnt like direct 3d, i mean direct 3d has a downloadable update, open gl doesnt... *i dont think, ive never seen "Download Open GL 1.6 today!" anywhere"*
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
Advertisement
Um, what are you talking about? My video card supports OpenGL 1.4. It only uses 1.1 if you don't have 3D acceleration.

EDIT: And the fact that you don't have to download OpenGL again every month is a good thing.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on October 15, 2003 12:59:44 AM]
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by FenrirWolf
Heehee. Highest math I''ve had is geometry, and I haven''t had too much trouble with 3d. I understand how matrices work, but I''m shaker on some of the higher level stuff. I''m working through linear algebra right now.
That class would definitely be very useful if you want to understand about matrix multiplication and its application in graphics.
quote:Original post by fireking
open gl isnt like direct 3d, i mean direct 3d has a downloadable update, open gl doesnt... *i dont think, ive never seen "Download Open GL 1.6 today!" anywhere"*
OpenGL has less publicity than Direct3D. Heh, you are talking Microsoft vs... something. Of course when it comes to publication or advertisement, Microsoft wins.

Reasons why I don''t use OpenGL is because first, I use Windows (that makes it...D3D or OGL? D3D or OGL?). Second, I would use DirectX anyway if I want to use sound and input. So I decided, instead of using two APIs, why not one?
The way I approach things is to put everything I don''t know into a black box and then just keep on chipping away until the box is very very small. When I started DirectX the box was massive, so I just basically copy & pasted code to get stuff working. As I needed to do stranger things it become necessary to understand what the code was doing and so I learned it.

Even today, I have very little clue what has to happen to get a directx environment set up (just copied the init function from a tut) and it''s working fine -- don''t really understand why people complain so much about init DirectX vs init OGL. But even though the init is mostly a mystery, I haven''t let it stop me from getting to grips with VB''s, shaders, mesh rendering and animation, particles, sound effects and keyboard input... all of which I have a very good understanding of at the moment.

If you were to apply the same kind of method I think you''d find the transition to DirectX fairly easy-going. You''re in a better position than I was because when I started I had no idea what any of the terminology might mean (vertex, projection, world space, wtf?). So, the best plan, would be to grab a tutorial that does something close to what you want to do (it''s always best to learn something through a project anyhow) and then slowly chip away at it until everything makes sense.
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement