Couple VERY newb questions - about RPG Engines

Started by
16 comments, last by StealthMint 20 years, 6 months ago
Ok - first of all the only programming I have done is make a simple Client / Server database application in Visual Basic 6 for about 10 users on a LAN. Now, I am very interested in teaching myself C++ (That's what I did with VB6 and it went very well) and programming a game. I understand the length of time, dedication etc to a project as such. What I want to do is this - make a very good RPG game in terms of content and player development (I've planned out character development in a deep way I have never seen in ANY game). I am NOT a graphics person, and do NOT even want to attempt making some complicated 3d engine. What I was planning on doing is making a very basic 2d engine - basically along the lines of how old Nintendo games looked, like Final Fantasy 1. Now, here are my questions/statements! First, where would someone look for an engine (If they didn't want to make their own) Second, are there even available 2d or 3d engines for the kind of game I want to make? (Could look like fallout, diablo2, Final Fantasy 1 - anything with a 3rd person view) Third, I DON'T do graphics...I am one of the most horrible people at Photoshop, let alone trying to do 3DSmax...So, I kind of want to make a game that I can just draw stick figures, put them in the game (For my own testing purposes) and then ONLY ONCE I finish the character development code, missions, storyline, and player balancing, I would even dare have myself/someone else help me with graphics. So - Would an 2d engine be better? I honestly DON'T want graphics better than Fallout if it would make my programming that much harder. I think I already want to use DirectX - so any directx engines would be suitable. I'm NOT trying to develop this game for other people to oogle at the graphics...I'm trying to test my character / content limits of creation, as well as see how deep I can make a non-linear storyline. But, there IS the option of making your character a combat-oriented one as well as making it totally NON-combat oriented (Don't know if gameplay really has anything to do with the graphical engine or not - how closely tied it is). Ok, sorry for rambling...Basically if anyone knows how graphical game engines can be worked with in what I want to do - and how to acquire one (for free!) and what is probably the easiest thing for me, with the least complications - please respond! I tried to get most of the questions for me out of the way so there won't be as many :D - Thanks a LOT!! [edited by - stealthmint on October 16, 2003 11:28:46 AM]
Advertisement
Well first of all I woud love to hear what your planning is on that deep characer development you said, really curious. But to help you out a bit, here are some links. There is also something called RPG MAKER 2000 its not really an engine if im correct its more of a total package to make basic RPG''s with FF like graphics. But here are the links :

http://www.gdse.com

this is a search engine just look under resources in the left menu and there will be a list of sites with engines, graphics and the likes.

Hope it helps ya, cheers and good luck !!
I''ve not used it, but I hear the name ''RPG Maker'' mentioned on these boards a fair bit.

Whether such ''game maker'' programs are good is an entirely different discussion, but you might want to take a look; if the shoe fits...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Well, I don't want to go to in-depth with the game content...But you will/can get very specialized professions - and there will be enough skill points to MASTER at least 3 of the Specialized professions. (There will probably be close if not over 100 specialized Professions - such as Katana, Keylocks, Buffing Potions, etc) If you don't care to master a special profession, then you can master some more basic ones, such as Lockpicking, or Alchemy, OR the very basic ones like Melee weapons. Obviously the more you specialize, the better you get with that one thing. But, you can only do that one thing. And, you will be able to drop skills at any time.

I couldn't really find much on RPG MAKER 2000. Anyone know where it is more, or any other engines?

Oh yes, one other thing - there are going to be many specialized quests for each profession, and these quests will only be come known to you because of your level of skill with that profession. Like there might be an Epic quest for you once you get to level 75 Katana's about a VERY powerful katana, and someone who doesnt use Katana's can never even attempt the quest.

Honestly I'm not making this game for other people, but more to test myself in how well I can design a circular gaming environment (To an extent since it's single player for now) instead of a linear one.

Yeah - I'm not sure..Mainly just the questions on how I would even implement an existing engine or make my own lame one.

[edited by - stealthmint on October 16, 2003 11:28:33 AM]
nice very nice, how bout crafting skills every CRPG misses that IMO. Good luck, heres a link to RPG MASTER 2000 its a German site I hope its dandy

http://www.rpgmaker2000.de/

cheers !!
Yeah I'm gonna have crafting, but it won't be necessary. Like ANY character can buy low level heal potions, but if you want HIGH level, like heal your entire self in one swig, you need to be able to craft them. Same goes for armor and weapons (But there will be high level loot from very hard creatures, NPC's, treasure chests, and rewards. )

Couldn't really figure out that RPGMAKER thing, the english install seems odd. I suppose I might just make my own, and use very poor 2d graphics with collisions, etc. Hmmmmm - anyone else?

[edited by - stealthmint on October 16, 2003 4:06:27 PM]
well i think this is a link to a bunch
of gameengines
www.gamingw.net
and also try
www.rpgtoolkit.com go to the dowloads page for the free version
they all have limits though.....such as rpgmaker2000 dosnt allow
adventure stylegames and rpgtool kit it is possible its just a pain in the lowerback
hope this helps
My potential is extreme for a 14 year old, Guitar playing, Anime artist.
Your idea''s sound a lot like how asheron''s call 1 and 2 work. How "original"...................... U make me sick.
wahts that smell? Hmm smells like scott, he is flaming again
http://www.abcsearchengine.com/roms/rpg_maker_2000.htm

there is a better link for RPG Maker 2000 and good luck =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement