RPG NPC AI, Scheduling and Needs...

Started by
55 comments, last by Ingenu 23 years, 4 months ago
Stell, could you post us a description of this IA ? Sounds more interesting that the ones I knew (U6, mostly).

Be reading you,
YA
Advertisement
I really enjoy reading your thoughts about NPC AI and now i just want to direct your attention to the following:
at Gamasutra i read a REALLY interesting article from Wright and Marshall:

More AI in less Processor Time: ''Egocentric'' AI
www.gamasutra.com/features/20000619/wright_01.htm

This article treats the actual implementation of AI running on Playstation II. Besides there are REALLY
interesting ways of implementing a need-based dynamic (e.g. behaviour-set, perception-set)

The time i was reading this article i also read about Transmeta''s Crusoe (www.transmeta.com), which is a new
kind of processor. (i think Linus was involved developing this one)
There is a nifty thing about Crusoe: machine-code is interpreted by processor-intern software.
Now imagine what a power a Process-Manager for AI would have, if (almost) beeing in the processor itself...

I really would like to have some response, but if you don''t care about Crusoe, at least read the article mentioned above.
It''s really worth reading it!!!!

Slavomir

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Today is Setting Orange, the 54th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3166
473-"Hey, wake up, they''re coming... For Heaven''s sake, WAKE UP!"

(From the Canonical List of Famous Last Words)
Is there any place to get a free demo of ULtima 7 or 8?

I''d like to check it out....

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." --William Blake

"The road of excess also just ends up making me tired because I'm too lazy" --Nazrix
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Hey, Nazrix, just search for:

Ultima Copy Protection Codes/Downloads

at altavista.

I guess you''ll find it

Slavomir

"..if you know the name of it, everything can be found.." +ORC
Good ref, Slavomir. However, I''m affraid not many people want to reimplement a real-time operating system. Maybe with real-time Java or ecos ?

Be reading you,
yA
Yes, altman, i know. That was the first i thought about Crusoe, too. It would be nice to have a java-native CPU. I just wanted to direct your attention towards this article and the implementation. Such a Process-Manager would be a really reusable thingy if programmed properly. And it is the right way to implement this schedule-need system of ingenu and dwarfsoft and....

Slavomir
I''ll take another look but I''m affraid it is a little bit too low-level for what we are trying to do on the NPCAI list. I mean it handles frames ! And unless I am mistaken, frames have to be handled at processor-level (or at virtual processor-level, if in a VM) ! In other word, just as written in the article, this is about writing an operating system. Hence my question : are there not already written real-time OS which can be used for AI ? I''m thinking eCos and Real-time Java because I know no other real-time OS.

I forwarded the URL to the list, and if you''re not there already your heartily invited to join us - especially if you have ideas on how to implement this.

Now, as for being the "right way"... you''re probably completely right. Without fancy time-management procedures, some agent migt end up eating all CPU-time without even being prioritized, or even locking up the system.

Be reading you,
YA
I''ve got sort of an idea...
Why don''t we try and develop some sort of real-time world where NPCs can interact (doesn''t have to have super 3d graphics, just needs to be practical) and then people on the NPCAI mailing list can write NPC classes that simulate real-life people. It might help us to design some realistic NPCs....

Samah

"...the grave is no bar to my call..." - The Horn Of Valere
"...the grave is no bar to my call..." - The Horn Of Valere
I am slowly working on this myself, a simple isometric engine. I have been a little bit consumed through time recently and as such have falen behind. Anyways, Graphics is not what we are after, we are after a cool NPCAI model . I really should consider getting a bit more sleep and less game playing .

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Reading this thread and thinking a bit, I''ve written up a little article about a subset of these ideas, namely Need driven stuff.

I made another post under a different topic name (still figuring this system out a bit, sorry) outlining some things. It was after I wrote the post that I opened up word and started to put something consolidated together.

Any new insights which come up here that I think are appropriate to the system, as well as my own, I will put in, and I''ll tag

The system looks like it may be walking down an AL research type thing rather than a NPC AI road, but we''ll see how many cycles the bitch winds up eating...

As stated in the article, I reckon we use the AI system to build a tribe of hunter-gatherers and prehistoric cows in a sparse prarie (sp?) to get the fundamentals right.

Something else, the Environment system will be no small feat, if you think about the number of things you can _do_ in the world, and what effects it all had on other people. In addition to that, there''s fun stuff like weather.

This is incomplete at best, it was written up in a couple of hours before I went to bed. But it will grow! Most of the stuff there now is new-ish rather than stuff from the thread, I''ll get that in soon. (And I''ll put some comments saying so somehow)

Note also that I do have _my_ own "grand vision" of this, which may or may not be the same as your one. Like I said before, this may not be suited for a game AI. But I''m more interested in AIs than games personally, so that''s not a biggie to me.

Anyway, here''s the url:
http://www.totallydigital.co.nz/rpg/ai1.html

PS - Sorry for the shitty HTML, it''s exported from MS Word.

Sam
Space Cadet''s DJ Random, Thinker, and Geek at heart.
SamSpace Cadet''s DJ Random, Thinker, and Geek at heart.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement