Alternatives...

Started by
2 comments, last by Apache153A 20 years, 6 months ago
Ok, do smaller, higher level languages like Pascal, Delphi, etc, have any purpose in the gaming world? I know they have their benefits in database or rapid application development, but I was just curious if they were ever used in game dev in any way. Thanks..
Advertisement
Pascal isn''t higher level.. But real higher level languages like Lisp and Python have been used by some game developers.
- Abuse used Scheme (or maybe it was some custom Lisp dialect)
- some platformer game for Playstation 2 uses Lisp (spiro the dragon (or something))
- Blade of Darkness, EvE Online and Freedom Force use Python

Surely the increse in development speed given by higher level PL is also useful in games who often miss their deadlines.. And as more work is done on graphics cards and less work on CPU, using a high level language becomes a viable solution for many types of games.
quote:Original post by Apache153A
Ok, do smaller, higher level languages like Pascal, Delphi, etc, have any purpose in the gaming world? I know they have their benefits in database or rapid application development, but I was just curious if they were ever used in game dev in any way. Thanks..

Yeah, a few games have been made using Delphi (like the two Age of Wonders games, plus some others that I can''t remember for the life of me). It''s certainly possible w/ Delphi since it can use DX, OpenGL, and any of the other usual stuff (without the hassle of C++ libraries, too). It rocks for making tools, that''s for sure. I dunno about Pascal these days, though...
quote:Original post by Apache153A

Tools development are a good thing for which to use a RAD environment. Smaller games can also be done with such languages/environments. You won''t see many AAA games done strictly with them, however.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement