multitexturing without extensions?

Started by
5 comments, last by fireking 20 years, 6 months ago
does anyone know of a tutorial of how to do multitexturing without using an extension? im trying to support as many 3d cards as i can, plus i dont really want to learn extensions right now.
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
Advertisement
By doing multiple render pass. Pretty much all cards support multitexturing with at least 2 texture unit though.
I don''t know of any video cards that don''t support multitexturing. If you don''t want to learn extensions, you could try my extension library (see sig). It loads all the available extensions at startup automatically.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Yep, even back in the day of my TNT it could multitexture 2 textures at once, and iirc the voodoo2 could as well... and frankly i think you''ll be hard pushed to find anything back beyond them

[kinda offtopic]
I''ve often wondered whats the obession with ''supporting as many cards as i can'', in my mind this holds back progress somewhat, yeah some ppl cant afford the latest and greatest, but without a reason to upgrade they never will. Personaly the project i''m starting has a min of a gf3 and thats simply because one of the dev team has one, idealy i''d like to make the cut at a gf4...
[/kinda offtopic]
phantom, one word (well kinda):

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I''m trying to keep my minimum at a TNT2 32 mb, but I''m very tempted to bump it up to a GeForce 3/Radeon 7500. My friend says his TNT2 supports multitexturing, but it''s kind of useless for me: no support for the new blending modes.
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
Enokh, i can understand that to an extent for things which are commercial from the offset (example: HL2) but for things which start off as a hobby/passtime surely we can push the specs up a bit?
Even if Fireking''s engine goes on to become commercial it will probably take a good year or two at least, at which point the base point will have moved up to around the GF3/GF4 range... or at least i would hope so...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement