Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Time to complete your games?

Started by Aerolithe Oct 22, 2003 at 10:19 PM 8 replies 750+ views
Original Post
Aerolithe
Aerolithe
I was just curious as to how long people took to finish games. Please only give information on games you have finished. Give a short description, a complexity rating (1 to 10, 1 being pong, 10 being some huge 3D MMORPG), the number of people on the team total and the number of programmers, and about how long it took to make from the first day of coding to the final release (or non-beta.) Also include how much time you spent per day/week on the game (I'm mainly interested in the programmers though.) I'm trying to get an estimate on how long most projects take (yes I will take the type of game into account.) [edited by - Aerolithe on October 23, 2003 11:02:47 AM]
Peon
Peon
I started my 2D engine late September and I hope to have it finished along with an asteroids type game by Christmas. Once the engine is complete, I don''t expect the game to take long.

So...

Basic 2D Engine -- Complexity: 3, 1 programmer (no team), estimated 2.5 -3 months

Asteroids game (w/ Engine) -- Complexity: 2, 1 programmer (no team), estimated 2 weeks
Peon
GamerSg
GamerSg
Project : Mystique Legacy
Well it is finished, but could do with alot more improvements and additional features.
Number of people developing: 4 - 7(4 mainly on game, 3 more for a trailer video which probably wont make it on the net due to it''s 441mb size)

Number of Programmers : 1
Level Designers : 1
Modellers/Animators/Texture Artists : 2
Sound Composers : 1
Video : 3

Coding 5 months.
All other content 3 months.

Mystique Legacy : Rise of the Forgotten World
matias suarez
matias suarez
Tetris + graph + sound (acceptable level) 1 programmer - os independent architecture - 35 hours
r3alityc0d3r
r3alityc0d3r
Tetris Clone
1 developer (me)
Took about 1 weekend.
Its on my wesite if you want to see it.
Rates about a 3 on your complexity scale.


r3alityc0d3r
icq: 252463839
r3alityc0d3r@hotmail.com
www.realitycoder.com
"I am the Architect. I created the Matrix...Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Which has led you, inexorably... here." Great Architect - Matrix Reloaded
r3alityc0d3ricq: 252463839r3alityc0d3r@hotmail.comwww.realitycoder.com"I am the Architect. I created the Matrix...Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. Which has led you, inexorably... here." Great Architect - Matrix Reloaded
Aerolithe
Aerolithe
I knew I was forgetting something. Thanks. Yeah go ahead and add time spent per day on it (mainly for coding). For that I''d just say the average of all developers (if one person did 10 hours a day and another did 6, post 8 hours a day).
Basiror
Basiror
i doubt anyone who goes to work every day can spend 6-10 hours the day on his hobby

maybe if you are still going to school
http://www.8ung.at/basiror/theironcross.html
EDI
EDI
Basiror:

I have a full time programing job (9 hours a day)

I then get home at around 6pm and work on my game to 11pm

on weekends i spend i spend around 8 to 16 hours a day working on my game.

Took me 2 Years to Finish my Core Engine and 2D Isometric Engine, that may sound like alot of time, but lets just say it''s complex =)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com




Voice your discontent! help stop the flames!
Ronin Magus
Ronin Magus
I planned my game last September. I have since written and rewritten it about 4 times, using SDL and other libraries with each re-write.

The first time, I created my own image classes, my own animation schemes, everything was my own.

The second time, I''d studied up on what design problems I had, started using SDL_image to load in graphics. That took out a lot of bugs. Also, I learned how to implement dirty rectangles to increase FPS, and linear time interpolation for processor speed independence.

The third time around, I decided to use Kyra with SDL as my graphics manager. I threw out most of my own code except for the non-graphics stuff. Kyra is awesomeness incarnate for 2d stuff.

The fourth time, I still used Kyra to draw to the screen, but greatly simplified the logic of the game from tips I''d picked up from the Enginuity Engine articles here on gamedev.

Of course, the game was never completed, and may never be. But the experience I picked up from deciding to scrap what I had worked on and redesign with new techniques was absolutely invaluable.. I feel I know enough now to create a complete, good game.


daveandrews.org - a Christian Programmer''s Weblog

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.