Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

royk

Isometric Space Shooter?

Hey! I had an idea of writing a 2D Isometric view space shooter. I never saw such a game, and was wondering if you people know if this has been done before, or if you think it is even possible. I think it could have some really cool functionalities..

quote:
Original post by jaxson
I seem to remember playing an old arcade game that was an isometric space shooter. I''m afraid I can''t remember the name, though. Maybe someone else knows?

ZAXXON

quote:
Original post by jaxson
I seem to remember playing an old arcade game that was an isometric space shooter. I''m afraid I can''t remember the name, though. Maybe someone else knows?

Viewpoint?

You shouldn''t base the feasibility of an idea on whether or not it''s been done before! Of course your idea is perfectly good. If you would enjoy a game like that, then that is the game you should create.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.

I was secretly hoping I was the first to think of such a game =) But I was asking mainly because I wanted to see how others approached this issue.

I did a google search on Xevious and it resulted in a non-isometric game, but Zaxxon gave some good results.

This is really going to help me decide if I should develop this idea further..

Thanks for the help!

quote:
Original post by royk
I was secretly hoping I was the first to think of such a game =)

Now that is SCARY. To think there are people out there who have never encountered an entire genre of game. It''s like ten years of my life was just wiped away. Do you know how OLD that makes me feel?

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant

Basicaly,

dont ever think that what you think hasnt been thought up before cause it has! Always, there are over 6 billion people on this world, SOMEONE thought of it. Instead, you should be looking to see if it was nicely IMPLEMENTED. Take Parappa the Rapper for instance, it really wasnt a whole new genre, but it implemented the same fundementals in a new and creative manner.

you''re right, ofcourse. And besides, I never seen an isometric space shooter and I''m pretty glad I thought of the idea. In my reality, it''s my invention.. The fact that it''s already implemented, simply switched my goal from grabbig the prestige of doing it first to the even better goal of doing it better =)

Dan, I''m sorry I made you feel old =) Are you saying there is a genre of iso space shooters out there, or were you referring to isometric games in general? Because I LOVE them. If within the genre there are games that you think are worthy to encounter, just say their names and I''ll be all over them..

OrangyTang -

I thought the image you posted referred to Zaxxon but now I realize it is the Neo-Geo game "ViewPoint". Thanks for posting it!
Checking out previous work really helps me and inspires me, and this game looks really promising.

Roy

Ahh, Zaxxon that brings me back, I remember playing it on my old commodore 64. Zaxxon, dragon''s lair, and legend of black silver, they eat many an hour of my youth.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

One important thing to think about - you''ll notice every object in Viewpoint casts a shadow against the floor. This is important since if you''re playing an isometric viewpoint then its more difficult to judge where your shots are going to end up. Even bullets cast a shadow to help with this (and if the bullets aren''t actual solid objects like energy balls, have them cast lighter areas instead of a shadow).

Viewpoint only scrolled in the single direction, although theres no reason why you can''t have corners and have levels switching between the four diagonals for scrolling Just to keep the player on their toes..

I noticed the problem when playing Zaxxon. It''s hard to tell what''s going on because allot of the visual cues we use to manage around a 3d environment are either false (The shadow remains the same no matter how high I fly) or nonexistent (Objects do not have shadows and the bitmaps hardly describe what height they are in).

I think ViewPoint did smart in that it doesn''t have height. It could be possible to allow two heights - Ground level (to land) and 1st level to fly.

I agree with you OrangyTang, and I think that it could be possible and fun to make a game where the ship is free to rotate 360 in the isospace!
They probably didn''t allow it in the old days because maps would''ve been too large to load at once.

quote:
Original post by royk
They probably didn''t allow it in the old days because maps would''ve been too large to load at once.

That and it''d take a shedload of sprites to work smoothly. If you had your objects as proper 3d object but fixed to a 2d plane it''d be much easier

Do a search for game developer Housemarque...back in 1997 they released a iso shooter named The Reap.

Honestly, as a huge fan of these sort of shoot''em-up twitchy type games...I think that allowing the player to scroll around as they wish is a bad idea...it kills the tension, and changes the game focus to a more exploration basied role..

Interesting.. My original idea was to make a top view spce shooter (Something similar to subspace), and let the ship rotate 360, but in an environment of tunnels and rooms, so there isn''t too much empty space to get lost in.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but an enormous online 2d space shooter system has existed for quite a while and me being a big fan I just need to post here to defend it
http://www.subspacehq.com

-------------
E-)mil
"I feel like... I feel like...
Like taking over the world!"
- Day of the Tentacle