Im thinking of switching to Javascript........

Started by
16 comments, last by bloodthirsty vermin 20 years, 6 months ago
I wouldn''t have thought its any easier to make an Online Game in Java than it is in C++, C++ would just give you more flexibility in what you want to do.

My advice would be to really get stuck into C++, any computer will do to get you really proficient. I''m learning on a P4 2.4 with a 128mb Graphics Card, i''ve been learning for quite a few months and haven''t even begun to tap my PCs potential.

Besides, making a Game in Java will still require a decent knowledge of programming, OOP and possibly alot of 3D Math depending on what you plan on doing...

Ad
Advertisement
Stop flaming me for crying out loud. and anyway are there free online books on java? ok and the game i want to make is an online multiplayer adventure game but has some offline quests,
you can concour one of the two castles and keep them guarded
then they are considered yours. if you lose that castle you can gather an army to take it over again. almost endless skills.
usernames so you dont have to start from the begining every time.
and when you message people it is either sent as a message bubble over your head or an instant message to that user.
My potential is extreme for a 14 year old, Guitar playing, Anime artist.
quote:Original post by bloodthirsty vermin
Stop flaming me for crying out loud. and anyway are there free online books on java? ok and the game i want to make is an online multiplayer adventure game but has some offline quests,
you can concour one of the two castles and keep them guarded
then they are considered yours. if you lose that castle you can gather an army to take it over again. almost endless skills.
usernames so you dont have to start from the begining every time.
and when you message people it is either sent as a message bubble over your head or an instant message to that user.

Ah, so you want to learn Java? Well, first off, how about we take a trip to Sun, Java homepage. That has all of the resources that you need to begin programming in Java. A downloadable API, and even an IDE if you need it, although I suggest eclipse as a good editor for java files. eclipse. On the Java main site, there is a part labled "tutorials", start there, the Java tutorial is actually fairly good, there is also a swing tutorial, and such. You will probably want to do that tutorial to learn the basics of the language. It in my opinion is a much easier language to learn than C++ because it has a great API that is already included in the language. Perhaps this will also help you.
no offense, bloodthirstyvermin, but this isn''t your first topic/post that is "flamable"...

anyway, making an online game is going to be hard either way, so just pick a language and learn it. once you know c++ or java, you essentially know the other, minus a few details. from reading your posts (not in this thread), it seems that choosing a language will be the least of your worries. i personally know java better, so i would probably choose that. however, to create a game, you''re going to know how to program, regardless of the language, so i''d work on that first instead of trying to implement yet another MMO game.
also, there are tons of FREE java and c++ tutorials online to help you get started. all you have to do is search around on google. chances are, some time or another you''ll get stuck with something in programming and what ever will you be able to do? search for it. you''ll find your trivial questions answered much faster than waiting for flames on here.
Stick with C++ then learn OpenGL. Java''s fun and all for learning, but I think that C++ would be much more beneficial since you have more control(A little anyways). Plus isn''t Java built on top of C++, so if C++ isn''t working too hot, I''d suspect java would be much slower and problematic. An online game might not be the best thing to work on at this point. I''m almost graduated from university with my CS degree and I still haven''t gotten one really done yet(And I do have experience with both 2D and 3D game engines). Unless it''s a text based game or something that is.
Guys... his questions are all way too stupid for him to be serious. Look at his previous posts. Even if you had never programmed before, you wouldn''t ask questions like him. He is just trying to annoy everyone.
To OP, I suggest you read up on how to ask smart questions before posting again.

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement