How long would it take to learn SDL?

Started by
10 comments, last by Thrust 20 years, 5 months ago
I am pretty confident in my C++ skills but im getting really bored with it. Making programs that have no purpose, everything in a little DOS window, and most importantly, just text! I want to start learning SDL, how long do you think it would take until I can get a decent build of something running? I always wanted to make a 2d platformer but I dont want to get ahead of myself. Im still trying to figure out how design works. Up until about a month ago I didnt know for a game to work right you have to program it in order (Start of game-level 1-end).
Mark St. Jean - OwnerWastedInkVwmaggotwV@Yahoo.com
Advertisement
if you dont have any C++ difficulties and are good with searching thorugh documentation. It wont take more then a few minutes to get the simplest sdl app running.

follow a tutorial and it will take even less time.

:::: [ Triple Buffer ] ::::
[size=2]aliak.net
My only problem is that the tutiorals at Cone3D are a little confusing. They use C most of the time, which I dont know or understand. Is there any other tutiorals for SDL rather then those that are a little easier? Is there a SDL book that I could find at Barnes and Noble or something?
Mark St. Jean - OwnerWastedInkVwmaggotwV@Yahoo.com
How dare you say it''s just text. NetHack is just text, and it''s one of my favorite games.

BTW, if you know C++, following some C code really shouldn''t cause you much trouble.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Woah, you know C++ but you can't understand C? Cone3D is IMHO simpler than the SDL Documentation. The only book that I know of that teach SDL is "Programming Linux Games", not to be confused with "Linux Game Programming".

[edited by - Skeletal on November 8, 2003 9:08:27 PM]
You mean this one right?

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

C is more or less C++ without classes (there are some other differences, but at the level of the tutorial they shouldn't come up). If its the code you don't understand, you aren't ready. If you find the tutorial to be confusing in the way its written, you only really have three other choices. One is the SDL documentation, which probably isn't any better than Cone3D, I found it worse from the first parts of each that I read. Two is Programming Linux Games, I'm not sure how good that is. There is also another SDL book, called Focus on SDL. I'd say either download PLG or get used to Cone3D. You can probably have a clone of pong after an hour or so, probably less.

[edited by - Aerolithe on November 8, 2003 10:29:43 PM]
SDL is really easy to get going with - you can have a app coded to create a window and display an imge in about 5 minutes, the tutorials at Cone3D may not be the best out there for SDL but they will introduce you to SDL and help you get started. Once you have a understanding then the SDL docs may not seem so intimidating
quote:Original post by Aerolithe
You can probably have a clone of pong after an hour or so, probably less.

Unlikely. He needs to understand timers, collision detection, keyboard handling, basic animation and scoring system, even for Pong. Plus learning SDL. No way is an hour enough.

Try this:
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/books/bookdetails.asp?productid=206

[edited by - fuzzdawg on November 10, 2003 5:00:05 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement