Unspecified behaviour in C++

Started by
9 comments, last by rohde 20 years, 6 months ago
I''m going over a C++ program for a friend (he can''t find the bug), and I came across the following line:

points[i++] = i++;
My head nearly exploded. Isn''t that unspecified behaviour (not my head exploding but the code ) in C++ (i.e. what autoincrement is done first)? "Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
Advertisement
The behaviour was "unspecified" in the older C standard, now it is "undefined" (which is slightly stronger wording).

Kippesoep
what it the behavior will do is to increment i but since the incrementor is to on the right side (rather than ++i) it will increase the value of i but return the value of i prior to the incrementation.

looking at it seems like its incrementing i on the right side returning its previous value and assigning it to the element in points that will also increment i but be the previous value that was what i equaled to after being incremented.

don't know if that would work, but its weird...

[edited by - nervo on November 10, 2003 6:58:40 AM]
Well, R2D22U2..
Since the value is referenced twice, the behaviour is undefined. More such madness:

points [i++] = i;points [i] = i++;i = i++;

All undefined.

Kippesoep
I remember a topic like this being spawned awhile back. So just for me to get it straight for this undefined behavior:

Any lvalue begin referenced more than once in any expression will be undefined behavior.
Well, R2D22U2..
quote:Original post by Nervo
Any lvalue begin referenced more than once in any expression will be undefined behavior.

Not true at all.
quote:Original post by chacha

Not true at all.

well, I was stating that more as a question for someone to confirm it...just to be sure though, I meant being referenced more than once from both sides of the expression. Show me an example if you can exhibiting right and wrong then please.

EDIT: What I said before has too many holes in it...what is meant apparently is that an lvalue that is changed and then assigned back to it will be undefined i.e. the behavior will not be uniform across all implementations.

[edited by - nervo on November 10, 2003 8:33:52 AM]
Well, R2D22U2..
well, I was stating that more as a question for someone to confirm it...just to be sure though, I meant being referenced more than once from both sides of the expression. Show me an example if you can exhibiting right and wrong then please.

EDIT: What I said before has too many holes in it...what is meant apparently is that an lvalue that is changed and then assigned back to it will be undefined i.e. the behavior will not be uniform across all implementations.

Oh, I see what you''re saying now.
For expressions that have subexpressions, the order in which the subexpressions are evaluated is undefined, which means you can not predict what it will do unless you consult your compiler documentation. Hence, you should not create such expressions because they will be portable and it may even be the case that your compiler does not have a defined order that it evaluates subexpressions in. I believe Stroustrup calls them full expressions.
To quote Section 5 paragraph 4 of the standard

Except where noted, the order of evaluation of operands of individual operators and subexpressions of indi-vidualexpressions, and the order in which side effects take place, is unspecified.53) Between the previousand next sequence point a scalar object shall have its stored value modified at most once by the evaluationof an expression. Furthermore, the prior value shall be accessed only to determine the value to be stored.The requirements of this paragraph shall be met for each allowable ordering of the subexpressions of a fullexpression; otherwise the behavior is undefined. [Example:i = v[i++]; // the behavior is unspecifiedi = 7, i++, i++; // i becomes 9i = ++i + 1; // the behavior is unspecifiedi = i + 1; // the value of i is incremented—end example] 

Hope that clears it up

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement