Black model loading....

Started by
2 comments, last by Frag 20 years, 5 months ago
Hello all. I have written a md2 loader and confirmed it works. It loads a test model fine, but another model is loaded pure black. The model is skinned. I tried changing the color of the model its self to see if it''d chagne the black but it didn''t. So I think that it may be a skinning problem. I repeat that I have succssfully tested this on a skinned model, so I think that this may be something model related and not code. The model that isn''t working write was created in 3ds max and exported to md2 from MilkShape (v1.4.0). Thanks all Frag
Advertisement
Of course you should first just check what it loads in you loader.. if something is missing.. if some data is absurd.. I can''t do but just throw a wild geuss so I let it be for now..
IF it''s a md2 model try loading it in QuakeII or the QuakeII loading that is available at milkshape''s site. If it''s messed up in them too you''ll know it''s not your code that''s at fault.
Generally a black model is one of 3 reasons:

1) the normals are 0,0,0
2) Back face culling is OFF and two sided lighting is OFF.
3) the material properties have 0,0,0 as the color for diffuse and ambient

BTW milkshape is up to version 1.6 something now, might want to upgrade (actually 1.7 is in beta) Though I doubt that is the problem, but it could be.

I have imported 3ds files into milkshape 1.6.6 and they came out all black, and imported the same model into milkshape 1.7 and it looked fine.
super genius

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement