your first job in the software industry?

Started by
9 comments, last by Muse 20 years, 5 months ago
I''m curious to know how people got started in the software industry (not just the game industry, but that too I suppose). The reason why I ask is that I''ve been looking at positions open in my area and of the last three dozen or so I''ve looked at, less than 10% have been entry level positions. I frequently even see two or three years required for QA or tech support (eg), which seems a little odd. So, how did you all get started? Is it unusual for someone to be hired to a position that lists industry experience as a requirement, even if that person is a newcomer? Do you credit networking skills with getting your foot in the door, or plain old programming skills?
-david
Advertisement
I got hired by the government. They hired me without experience and gave me the chance to get hands on experience. The pay wasn''t wonderful, but I got lots of interesting programming experience which I used to get a better job after a few years.
I was hired by a Korean owned telecommunication company. They required some experience for the job I applied to, but in the end I got it anyways. After a couple of years, I got tired of how the company was run (Korean style), and I switched to a German telecommunication company. I was told at the job interview at the german company that there were 35 applicants for the job position I was seeking, but luckily for me, most of them were fresh out of uni, and they didn''t even want to spend time considering them. I guess things have changed for the worse if you have no experience (and/or no network).
I work as data base programmer using Access DB. My start... it was funny, be cause at first time when i was trying to get my job as programmer i had a demo CD with examples of my programminng skill (mostly DOS app) and i did not have any DB experience but employer very liked my demo CD.
So thay said that they will call me and never did, (they never call ). But friend of mine was workin there, and 8 months letter i meet her once and she said that they need programmer right NOW!
So i called to employer and asked do they need programmer he said to come, and when i get to his office he said something like "You are this guy with demo... when do You want to start", i said right now, and next day i was workin as database programmer.

this story is 100% real.

"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We Would
When Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It’s A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It’s Never Gonna Die"

THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
"The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell We Promised That We WouldWhen Losers Say Its Over With You Know That It's A Lie The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die"THE GODS MADE HEAVY METAL/by ManOwaR
I worked freelance, projects speak for themselves. That is probably why you got it with your demo. They know you can complete stuff, and that you can program. Thats what matters.
I spent a number of years after college working as a landscaper (lawn mower). I had little choice since the area I choose to live had next to no high tech industry.

Three years after college, I managed to convince a startup ISP to hire me to maintain equipment. I started developing for the web next using asp. I was working for pretty cheap, too.

I left the isp and started working for Lucent in Software Configuration Management (version control and builds) to get my foot in the door. Then I transferred to a development group. Then three years later I stopped working for Lucent to concentrate on my own ambitions.

What is Barrel Drop?
Who are HTS Games?
What is Barrel Drop?
Who are HTS Games?
blagged it all the way. I was very lucky. I went for a job as a dataentry job. was asked if I was interested in doing more technical work as my CV had programming on it.

had an interview talked tech and got the job.

now I program for a living..
I started as a tester (14 years ago) - phoned the publisher and said "give us a job" and they did. Six months later my boss left and went to a start-up developer (SCi as it is now). He called me and asked if I wanted to go and run development. :o

I bluffed the interview and never looked back.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I guess the best thing for me to do is keep working on expanding my skills and making cool demos. Not so good with networking or bluffing, so I guess a cool demo is my only chance
-david
quote:Original post by Muse
Is it unusual for someone to be hired to a position that lists industry experience as a requirement, even if that person is a newcomer?
Very unusual. If it says Ind Exp required it pretty much means it. Especially at the moment there are a lot of experienced staff out there.

For more details on the qualifications required for an entry level job check out http://www.obscure.co.uk/faq_becoming_a_programmer.shtml

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant

[edited by - obscure on November 17, 2003 1:04:33 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement