3rd person camera

Started by
6 comments, last by RhoneRanger 20 years, 5 months ago
Hello all! I have been working on a 3rd person camera, you can dl the demo here. Let me know what you think. For some reason though, collision fails when you are sitting still. Besides that I think it's pretty good! I have no models, so forgive the lack of creativity on the camera target. -Rhone EDIT: Bad html code. [edited by - RhoneRanger on November 28, 2003 10:59:42 PM]
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
Advertisement
Looks good!

A few minor gripes:

If you turn 180 degrees without moving, and then go forward, the camera takes a while to center itself. If you want to fix this, just add a small multiplier for the number of degrees the cameras "target direction" is away from its current direction. Also, its cool that it zooms out in the beginning, but it flickers madly as it is going out of the circle. You probably are intentionally waiting to fix this, though.

All together, great job for you and your team!
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Thats why I temporarily put the loading scene there, because initially (for some unknown reason) the camera and the sphere intersect each other and gravity sets in.

Thanks for the advice on the 180 degree turn, that is really a good idea!
Looking nice..!

A couple of minor points though:

(1) It fails to load when using the debug Direct3D runtime with the slider turned up full. You''re probably aware of this but I thought I''d make sure.

(2) I''m a little confused about the control style. It seems that the mouse and keys control both the sphere and the camera at the same time. I think it may feel a bit more natural to have the mouse controlling the the camera position, and the keys controlling the sphere, or vice versa. This is purely subjective though...!

System: AMD XP 2200+, 256mb RAM and a Radeon 9700 pro.
Performance was great.

Cheers
Kyle

Nice!

One thing I noticed. If you run the ball to a hill and then turn the camera you can make it so that the camera is outside of the terrain (see through wall effect). Adding some sort of collision detection on the camera itself will likely fix that though this is something that VERY few games seem to be able to do correctly. Guess it''s a pretty difficult thing to do.

Nice demo though,
Will
Thanks guys for your help in testing this!

Like I said earlier, I know that when you are standing still for some reason the collision fails.

Will, was that the case here? Or did it fail when you were moving too?

At Kyle..

The mouse left/right controls the sphere rotation, the mouse up/down controls the camera vertical rotation.

When you are standing still, the mouse left/right controls both the sphere rotation and the camera rotation.

Besides that, the camera follows the sphere.
quote:Original post by RhoneRanger
Thats why I temporarily put the loading scene there, because initially (for some unknown reason) the camera and the sphere intersect each other and gravity sets in.

Thanks for the advice on the 180 degree turn, that is really a good idea!

Thanks! Actually, you are miles ahead of me in DirectX... I haven't even done true 3D stuff yet (still doing texture quads ). I know some about vectors, so I just figured that you probably had a target direction, and that the way I said would be a good way to do it. It might not work, I guess you could tell me.

Again, great demo. And the camera is near perfect for small turns, it feels really natural. Good luck!

[edited by - PlayGGY on November 29, 2003 12:52:41 AM]
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Both while moving and staying still.

Webby

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement