largest texture size

Started by
7 comments, last by clum 20 years, 4 months ago
What''s the biggest texture size I can expect to be supported by most (even somewhat old) hardware? If I need a texture to take up the entire screen, should I break it up? The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
Most NVidia and Matrox cards can support up to 4096x4096, but ATI cards only go up to 2048x2048.
-Ostsol
You should query the hardware you are using to find out what size it can support or people will be pissed when the program displays grabage. Is this texture one large completely unique texure? IF not you should tile it to save memory.
As a general rule of thumb, you want to make sure not to go over 1024 x 1024 for most machines. You never know what type of graphics card a person may have, so you''d better be safe than sorry. In any case, running higher than a 1024 x 1024 texture will run you a huge graphics card memory footprint. Besides, most of the time you''ll want to run in 800x600 or 1024x768 display modes, so haveing a texture with a larger size than that is usually pointless. That''s my two cents
So, if I keep my texture to 1024X1024 that''s fine? You see, I realised that my tile-based OpenGL game was going exceptionally slowly for a 2d game (about 80 fps at 1024X768 which isn''t bad, but not what I''d expect for a 2d game even with my nVidia GeForce2 which is getting slightly old). I was hoping that my game would run at faster speeds even on slower machines. Then I realised that the background tiles stay the same most of the time and all of my BindTextures were wasted displaying the same thing again and again. So now I set it to save the background to a texture (which, of course, has to be the size of the screen) and just redrawing the few polygons which actually do change every frame and updating the background the few times it changes. This increased my frame rate to 430 fps.
That''s why I wanted to know the sizes of textures I could expect. I would rather not break a 1024X768 screen into, say 12 256X256 chunks, especially since it require a whole lot of slow BindTexture()s.
In short, the way I understand it I can expect 1024X768 textures to be supported, so I''m fine.

The official zorx website
im pretty sure 1024x1024 is supported clear back to voodoo 5/geforce 1

correct me if im wrong
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
Actually you can go even further back than that. Even the Riva128 supported 1024x1024 textures.
-Ostsol
Maybe 80 is your monitor''s refresh rate and your framerate is limitted to that?
Look it up in your screen settings

"My basic needs in life are food, love and a C++ compiler"
[Project AlterNova] [Novanet]
[www.LifeIsDigital.net - My open source projects and articles.
quote:Original post by Vich
Maybe 80 is your monitor''s refresh rate and your framerate is limitted to that?
Look it up in your screen settings

Actually, my refresh rate is 60. I have VSYNC disabled. Its not exactly 80, it hovers around there. And now I''m getting around 430, and my monitor definitely doesn''t go that fast.

The official zorx website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement