Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

nVidia TNT2: Good or bad?

Started by MENTAL Jul 16, 2000 at 12:42 PM 9 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
MENTAL
MENTAL
Right. I''ve been saving for a while and I''ve finally got enough money for the TNT2 (unfortunatly not enough for the GeForce2), however, I was wondering if anyone could give the the low-down on how well if performs with OpenGL. i know nVidia ships are bloody fast at this, but seeing as this is a slightly older card, can it still cut it? M
nes8bit
nes8bit
Just last year the TNT2 Ultra/Non Ultra was the best card of the time. I have one and it works just fine with OpenGL. (Now that I updated my drivers) If you''re gonna get a TNT2ish card, don''t get the Viper 770. Diamond makes terrible drivers.

------------------------
Captured Reality
Demon Lord
Demon Lord
If you want a good video card, go for a SDR GeForce one. It gives very good performances, and is not as outdated as a TNT2. I think you''ll soon regret not having hardware T&L, which is becoming an important feature of many games.

EL

----------------------------------------
"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
David Herod
David Herod
yeah
I got a TNT2 and it runs fine with every game i thrown at it so far.....but if you want to future proof a bit more i''d save up a bit more for the Geforce2 GTS

------------------------------
"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
Martee
Martee
Here''s an idea of what kind of OGL performance you can expect witn a TNT2:
Win98SE + P2-300 + 128MB + TNT2. Quake 3 @ 1024x768, lightmap, max texture detail. Timedemo 1 - 40 fps.

But if you really want a good card - Kyro! As fast (or in some cases, faster) than a GeForce, costs a fraction of the price!

Martee
Magnum Games
http://MagnumGames.8m.com
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Genre
Genre
Nes8bit you are right... Viper770 is a BAD card. It is acting pretty bad on my computer=(

I just got carried away by the hype when the U/TNT2 came out and I bought it for 300$. Now it works, but it is like the horizontal focus is messed up... everything is smeared(sp?) horizontally (like a left hander writing a pencil=P).

I dont know what caused this, BUT it is a good enough reason for me to soon changed my card.

Genre.
Chiroptera
Chiroptera
I have a Viper 770, and it works fine on my computer, with the newest detonater drivers. Of course, it didn''t work at all in my brother''s better computer, so you takes your chances...
Coleco
Coleco
I love my Ultra TNT2 (16meg)

Of course, I came from a Viper330

-Coleco

Rock the cradle of love!
You stupid WANKER!

--HASBRO SUCKS--

Rock the cradle of love! You stupid WANKER!
MENTAL
MENTAL
Thanks for all the feedback. I''m actually getting the nVidia version of the card (no crappy drivers there ).

I''m getting this card so I can begin properly on my opengl games. I will always be saving money for better hardware, but the TNT2 caught my eye (and so did it''s price tag), so I had to get it. Well, i have. It is sitting in this computer. I think Q3 will be ok (the rest of the comp is PIII 733, 256MB ram, need i go on?), but i don''t know yet (the card was put in about 5 mins ago - litteraly).

The reason I like opengl so much is because it''s very easy to change the code and port to other formats (i.e. consols). with directX, it''s so wrapped up with windows it makes it a right bugger to port .

Thanks for all the advice.

MENTAL

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.