How do u make

Started by
8 comments, last by pabncsn 20 years, 4 months ago
How do you make a no cd patch for games
Advertisement
Why do you want to patch a game so that it doesn''t require a CD?
You do realize anything to do with cr**king/h**king is banned around here. I see a post deletion soon
As opposed to a no-cd patch for a jar of pickles?
quote:Original post by pabncsn

If you want to be able to play your game without using your CD drive (to avoid it''s degradation), you can always use a program to make an image of the cd and then run it from a virtual drive. I think there is a Norton utility that does that.

But I''m not sure if that is more legal than a no-cd patch.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Im sorry that everyone thinks im up to no good... my little brother just stuffed my cricket 2004 cd and i was trying to find a way of playing it with out a cd... Thanks for nothing... ban me good im not coming back anyway ill goto megagames there more helpful
quote:Original post by owl

If you want to be able to play your game without using your CD drive (to avoid it''s degradation), you can always use a program to make an image of the cd and then run it from a virtual drive. I think there is a Norton utility that does that.

But I''m not sure if that is more legal than a no-cd patch.

Any more legal? no-cd patches are 100% legal. It''s using them to play an illegally downloaded version that is illegal, but not because the patch itself is illegal, but because the game was aquired illegally.

To make a no CD patch, it requires knowledge of cracking in general, and specifically program tracing/dissassembly. You would have to trace the program when it runs and see exactly where it''s checking for a CD, and what happens when it finds it/doesn''t find it. You would then have to modify the code of not finding the CD to do the same thing as finding it, then the program from there on out sees everything the same as if it had found a CD. The problem to this is when the program requires reading files off of the CD, you can either have it read them straight off of the hard-drive, or some copy of the CD. If the CD you have is broken, this obviously won''t work if the game requires data from the CD.

By the way, please don''t let a few bad apples spoil your stay here, every site has their ignorant, and the common thing around here is to ignore Anonymous Posters completely, since they rarely have legitamate things to say, and regularly spit out false information.

CombatWombat: If you have no contributions, why post something as rediculous as that? It was A.) non-helpful, and B.) not funny.

owl: You answered the question that he asked and gave an example, although the last part about being more legal or whatever is a bit off (which is ok since you said "But I''m not sure" before you said it). I do say though, when people see a post about trying to crack a game without a reason for doing so, they jump to conclusions without thinking. Do they honestly think if someone was trying to crack a game just to play an illegal copy that they''d be posting it on some public forums?
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
Any more legal? no-cd patches are 100% legal. It''s using them to play an illegally downloaded version that is illegal, but not because the patch itself is illegal, but because the game was aquired illegally.

Actually, purposefully circumventing software to overcome protections is illegal. Even coming up with DeCSS was illegal, for example, not merely using it to watch a movie.

I like pie.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
Im sorry that everyone thinks im up to no good... my little brother just stuffed my cricket 2004 cd and i was trying to find a way of playing it with out a cd... Thanks for nothing... ban me good im not coming back anyway ill goto megagames there more helpful

Well if you do come back to read this, know that this is a game development board, not a game board. This post is wildly off-topic.

~CGameProgrammer( );

-- Post screenshots of your projects. 100+ posts already in the archives.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
quote:Original post by Ready4Dis
owl: You answered the question that he asked and gave an example, although the last part about being more legal or whatever is a bit off (which is ok since you said "But I''m not sure" before you said it). I do say though, when people see a post about trying to crack a game without a reason for doing so, they jump to conclusions without thinking. Do they honestly think if someone was trying to crack a game just to play an illegal copy that they''d be posting it on some public forums?

There are licenses that explicitly forbid users to alter and/or copy the game material, even for personal use.

Some games are licensed to you, and buying the copy you agree with that licence, you don''t own the game code. So, you shouldn''t alter it''s functionality.

Of course that''s the legal aproach.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement