Complete Newbie Here...A Little help?

Started by
14 comments, last by Higher_Justus 20 years, 4 months ago
Allo All... Ever since I was little I wanted to create games. I''ve used some really easy to use Game Makers like Rm2K and the like but now I want to go deeper into it. Problem is I hardly know where to start hehe, I''ve done a very small amount of programming in QBasic and I recently DLed a C++ Compiler. Im completely new to this, I''ve read a few articles, but the only way to learn is through experience...Can I get some starting tips, pointers and alot of help please?
Retribution day is coming...
Advertisement
If you want to make a 3d game:
http://www.genesis3d.com

Its a pretty old 3d engine with a huge community. Good for beginners!
Thanks for the engine.

But I really should start on the heavy stuff soon. I''ve been making Games Awhile but haven''t really learnt anything. Im starting Computer Science 101 this year at school so hopefully I''ll be on a good start.
Buy Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koening and Barbara E. Moo, of the "C++ In Depth" series. It is an excellent book to learn C++ from and will get you to an intermediate level while teaching you well .
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Buy Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koening and Barbara E. Moo, of the "C++ In Depth" series. It is an excellent book to learn C++ from and will get you to an intermediate level while teaching you well .

Excellent recommendation... also try out Thinking in C++ Volumes 1 and 2 once you have finished Accelerated C++... they're available for free as ebooks from the author. Also, C++ in Action is a good book, and again available free as an ebook from the author's site (note this is from a beginner's perspective, as I am a beginner at C++ right now, learning from Accelerated C++).

[edited by - GoldenTiger on December 14, 2003 5:37:22 PM]
Hey, just wondering, where can yo uget these e-books,

And on second though, while im here, anyone know where to get a good free c++ compiler, and hell maybe even some stuff for java too...

Anyway, just wondering..
Dustin
Mess With the Best, go down like the rest, but please visit:http://members.tripod.com/nu_bgameprogramming/
For windows, last time I checked Borland (www.borland.com) released the command line version of their compiler for free. I think you might have to register on their website, but they send very little spam. (Basically a messsage once or twice a year inviting you to some conference.)

Also, Mingw (www.mingw.org), a gcc port for windows, is also freely available. I think Mingw is currently experimenting with java compilation support, but it isn''t in the current release.

I''m told that OS X ships with a developers CD that has gcc on it. Any Linux distribution should also have gcc somewhere easily accessible (if not installed by default).
You can find Microsoft''s compiler and tools on their website, freely downloadable. You need something to write the code in though, as it doesn''t come with the IDE. But that''s the case for all these other compilers too (Borland, GCC, etc...)

Also, Dev-C++ by Bloodshed Software seems popular. It uses GCC (MinGW or Cygwin).
I have got Dev-C++, I cant seem to get any programs to wrk though. I even cut and pasted stuff in as a last resrt, but it always says
"File Not Compiled"
So I hit execute and compile and some message box flashes up (Not an MSDOS box like it said on some tutorial I read somewhere)
And down the bottom it says it cannot run program. Dunno why...But I am completely new to this.
the last thing you want is pointers

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement