Overclock athlon XP 2500+ / hardware configuration

Started by
11 comments, last by adriano_usp 20 years, 4 months ago
Hi, I received an information about the Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton Core) can work at 3200 MHz... please, what do you think about it? I''m thinking to upgrade my old computer to: - Athlon XP 2500+ - ATI Radeon 9600 Does this configuration can run any game smoothly? I thought to buy a Radeon 9800, but here in Brazil it is too expensive. Please, I would like to get some hints about other similar configurations. Thanks.
Advertisement
Well in theory you could make it a 4100XP. However at that level it would probably melt even if it was water cooled (freon cooling might work).

What you may have heard of was a shipment of Athlon 2500XP processors that where not all really 2500XPs. As sometimes happens (it happens quite a lot for low end Celerons) a chip maker does not have enough of a certain popular chip. The chips are made in batches, with the final quality of the chip (and thus its speed) to be determined by testing. This means a single batch of identical chips can produce 2500XPs, 2800XPs and 3200XPs. If demand is high for the lower chip (due to price point) and low for the high one they may label a portion or all of a batch at that speed in order to meet demand. In this case a large number of high end (2800Xp and 3200XP) Athlon XP chips where marked as 2500XP. Since they are really a higher end chip it requires no special help to "overclock" the chips to their real potential (this is where you get some Celerons that are overclocked by some insane amount, since you can effectly overclock them twice). However I doubt you''ll find one (and it would be luck of the draw to buy one), they where shipped many months ago (I have one from that serial range and right now it seems to be performing quite well "overclocked").
what does this have to do with directx?
Uau... if I understood correctly, months ago some people bought a XP2500 and they don''t know that have a "disguised" XP2800/3200 at home...
Thanks Michalson!

Hi SiliconMunky, some video cards have better support to DX9 resources than another... suddenly it would not be a good idea to use that card.
quote:Original post by adriano_usp
Hi SiliconMunky, some video cards have better support to DX9 resources than another... suddenly it would not be a good idea to use that card.

lol I know that. And the radeons do appear to run directx9 quite well, but your post had nothing to do with that, lol.. :D
Interesting that your question is not really DirectX related, yet it was answered by a moderator. Anyway assuming that somehow it is DirectX related, I have this exact configuration and I would strongly advise against over clocking your system for game development. Generally in game development there are enough problems without having to wonder if the problems are caused because your system is unstable.

Since you have exactly that configuration, I would like to ask you about the performance: Does your computer can run the current games smoothly?

Thanks again.

- Please, take this off the forum. If you''d like to talk any further, start a new topic in the suitable forum, or use email.

Thanks

Muhammad Haggag

Uhhm isnt he the moderator? Cant he respond or remove whatever he feels appropriate? He doesnt have to answer to anyone, no?
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
quote:Original post by asdasd12345
Uhhm isnt he the moderator? Cant he respond or remove whatever he feels appropriate? He doesnt have to answer to anyone, no?

He still has to answer to the general gamedev.net public. If the forums get messy, and the moderators do nothing about it, then they won''t be moderators for very long. Everyone answers to someone.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement