Maple or Mathematica

Started by
20 comments, last by john_in_pdx 20 years ago
I''m a first time poster (just found this site and it rules). I am a university student and our school uses Maple. I would like to purchase some software for myself (to help with homework and for exploration). I was considering Maple since our school uses Maple, so I thought that it would be easier to transfer files, etc. I have heard that many more professionals use Mathematica. I was wondering what the general opinion is on both of these packages. Thanks In Advance, John
Advertisement
I''ve use Maple, had a student edition several years ago when I was working on my Ph.D. Never really played with Mathematica. But, Maple used to be primarily good for symbolic math and not so much numerical math, while Mathematica was better a numerical math (as was/is Matlab). I think Maple now does numerical and symbolic math, so maybe its more of a well-rounded competitor to Mathematica and Matlab. I do seem to recall that Mathematica always was supposed to be sort of the "rock star" of the mathematical software packages. Whatever that means. Really, I don''t think you could go wrong with either.

The following site looks immensely useful in making a decision such as this:

http://amath.colorado.edu/computing/mmm/

Provides direct syntax and functionality comparisons of Maple, Mathematic, and Matlab (and IDL). I wonder how Mathcad fits in?

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Good link.

Thanks a bunch!
It''s funny, our math department forces the students to learn and use Maple because its developer is an alumni. It works very well so I''m not complaining.
Wow. At Angelo State U, we have both Maple and Mathmatica. All of the professors prefer Maple though. We have some really cool maple animations showing limits, derivatives, series, etc etc. They really help you get a feel for the concepts behind the math. (So they tell me, anyway.) If I were going to pick one, I''d pick Maple for a lack of knowledge about the others. Ignorance is bliss. (Though, mathomatic by George Gesslein is really kinda nice for algebra problems)

On a seperate note: where do you go, Zipster?

Scout

All polynomials are funny - some to a higher degree.
Furthermore, polynomials of degree zero are constantly funny.
All polynomials are funny - some to a higher degree.Furthermore, polynomials of degree zero are constantly funny.
I use mathematica myself (student license from my uni). A friend of mine plays around with Maple, and He says Maple does a better job integrating / solving differential equations.

Both Maple and Mathematica do symbolic math, and I think both of them do numerical math (I know Mathematica does).

I think they''re comparable.

[ Galactic Conquest | Bananas | My dead site | www.sgi.com | Goegel ]
I''ve never used Maple (well, I used it for about 5 minutes to play around with once), but I used Mathematica quite a bit last semester, and I really liked it. From what I know, you can''t really go wrong with either.
I''ve been working with Maple 9 for the last few months and have developed a love/hate relationship with it. On the plus side, it can solve just about anything you have the patience to type into it. It does exhibit some very irritating behavior occasionally, though, and can get on your nerves. That being said, I wouldn''t want to try solving most of the problems I use it for by hand.
quote:Original post by MrScout
On a seperate note: where do you go, Zipster?

University of Pennsylvania. At least I hear an alumni developed Maple, which is why we have to learn it.

I thought Maple was developed in Canada (hence the Maple leaf).

Matlab is nice for Diff Eq when you have dfield and pplane
installed. This has been said but I agree that Maple is better
for symbolic manipulation.

We thought my math professor was slow ... turns out he was
from Canada (eh).

TT

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement