Why so slooooooow?!?!

Started by
26 comments, last by Pirosan 20 years, 4 months ago
I created a simple 3d engine that loads and displays simple objects on the screen (using x files) for small scenes i can get a pretty reasonable frame rate, but on more complex objects the scene slows dramatically... i see people who have their engines running at 100+ fps while the top i have seen for my demos was around 61... on my laptop i got 32 when the scene was visible, then it went to around 60 when the scene was not visible... Does anyone know how i can increase my framerate? for pictures and more information about the engine, please visit: sky.prohosting.com/gibsoncj/
Bow before me... for i am l33t!
Advertisement
Jeepers, with all the information you gave us, I am sure we can tell you what the problem is! (I hope you don''t mind the sarcasm)
TechleadEnilno, the Ultima 2 projectwww.dr-code.org/enilno
Yeah im sorry about that, i was in a hurry to write this message and was way too vague... what kind of information do you need? At this point i just dont know what to give you, so it would be great if you could tell me what you need...

[edited by - Pirosan on December 15, 2003 9:42:31 PM]
Well, define system specs of the machines you tried it on, what do you mean by complex objects, how many polygons are you trying to push, what version of DX or OGL, what are you trying to do with your scene.

Asking anyone here to give you advice on the information you gave, is like me saying to you "I have a car, but something is wrong. Can you tell me ?"
Well mainly, what kind of culling are you using? Are you sending every object down the pipeline? Do you have backface culling enabled? Are you using frustrum culling at all?

These things matter greatly in improving your framerate, even for "simple" objects. There are lots of articles here on gamedev.net about culling, I advise that you read up, then modify your pipeline
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
I know that backface culling is enabled, and since the scene gets dramatically faster when it isnt visible, im pretty sure i have frustrum culling as well... Also, when i said complex objects i meant objects with more polygons than a box

[edited by - Pirosan on December 15, 2003 10:02:21 PM]
Then it sounds like you need to get more gritty, try occlusion culling, "distance fog", or both. Also think about octrees if your scene is big enough.
"This I Command" - Serpentor, Ruler of C.O.B.R.A
Yes i am actually looking into distance fog right now...
But, even when the scene is empty (seriously... 0 polygons) any computer that runs it runs at about 60 fps...
naa, not yet

occlusion culling is later in the gig.

If you are pusing less than 100,000 poly, and you are getting 32 fps, it depends on SEVERAL things.

What is the grafx card? What version of DX? What are the sys specs? How are you creating Vertex Buffers, What drawing methods/textures are you using? Are you sorting your objects by textures? I mean, give us some help here!

There is still a slu of information you have not told us!
Ok lets see... im using directx 8 and so far EVERY computer that has used the demo i came up with (10-15 comps of different speed and graphics capability) all ended up with 60 frames a second...

My laptop, a beef of a comp, is the only one to score really below 40 (im pretty sure)...

My other comp, with a ConquererFX 5200 Plus and a 2.3 gigahertz celeron processor ran at 60-61 all the time...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement