System _Architecture_ Design Forum

Started by
9 comments, last by nicba 23 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, this is another request for a new message board forum. Seems like everyone wants a new forums these days. But seriously I hope you will give this request some consideration (please...) In game developement "design" means roughly comming up with the game idea, describing the game atmosphere, balancing the game and such things. In "traditional" application developement "design" have a completely different meaning. It''s about designing the architecture of an application and making a "blueprint" of what has to be developed. It''s about software enginnering, methods and techniques. Try looking at the thread "System _Architecture_ Design Forum" in the "Help wanted" section to see what Im talking about. Wouldn''t it be nice to have a place to discuss these things? Regards nicba
Advertisement
I personally think it might be beneficial to have a sort of Software Engineering forum since it deals with software architectural design among the various other necessary topics. It''s an idea, but I don''t want to create the forum unless it is going to be used.

Kevin

Admin for GameDev.net.

i understand that you don''t want to use up server space (and more importantly, your time) on a forum no one will use.
i think the forum could be very beneficial to me and at least a few others. granted, it won''t be as popular as the lounge or the general and game programming forums, but i think it''d do alright.
so i guess this is one vote an system architecture forum.
I''d love to see this forum. I know I''ll post there a lot, and it can help me, and many others learn. These types of discussions come up once in a while in different forums. I think it would be a great idea to organize them in one place.
I''m all for the idea - but it will require some serious investment in time from the people that proposed the idea in the first place, to get a good start on the topic.

Perhaps a few articles or code snippets to start off the discussion.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by MadKeithV

Perhaps a few articles or code snippets to start off the discussion.

Articles would be great. Unfortunately I don''t really feal qualified to write one myself. I have yet done very little game programming/developement.

Code snippets? Yes maybe. But part of the idea was also to discuss architecture design in a more abstract fashion than the usual code level. I think it''s easier to get the "big picture" of an architecture if one supplies some diagrams instead of just raw code.

Regards

nicba
I love the idea... but I dont qualify for an article on this subject either, but that is why I would like a forum to discuss it and become more familiar with it

Im Always Bored
--Bordem
Im Always Bored--Bordem ICQ: 76947930
I just saw that someone in the "help wanted" forum have requested more information on design patterns in games.

Although I couldn''t give him exactly what he wants his post gave me an idea for a good first post for the architecture design forum if it ever gets created.

I do not know very much about game developement but I do know a little about design patterns and I thought that I could write a list of common patterns with a short description for each.

The list would be based upon the book "Design Patterns" written by "The Famous Four" Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson and John Vlissides.

I think this would provide a good starting point for the new forum (again, if it ever gets created). By starting a brainstorm on possible uses for the patterns in game developement it could help get some initial traffic (break the ice) and set the "mood" for the forum.

Regards

nicba
That idea sounds pretty cool to me...

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
(a.k.a. Crazy Yank)
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Some other good things to cover in the forum / any articles designed to draw attention to the forum:

• Two-tier and three-tier architectures
  • Object Oriented design and its pitfalls
  • Software Engineering Tools
  • UML / Booch / OMT
  • ... probably lots more, but I can''t think of any right now.

Give me one more medicated peaceful moment.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
ERROR: Your beta-version of Life1.0 has expired. Please upgrade to the full version. All important social functions will be disabled from now on.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement