Everything is so easy until it comes to the graphics...

Started by
14 comments, last by Game_Dude_man 20 years, 3 months ago
Anyone else ever find that they can make the coolest games, with multiple characters, inventories, (and all that great interaction stuff that games have in them), but when it comes to the graphics programming your dead in the water? Maybe I just need to learn how to implement graphics in C and C++, I really have no clue. Can anyone provide me with some good resources to start with? By graphics I mean 2D to start with of course...
n00b I am..
Advertisement
i had the same feeling some years ago. It''s a phase that you have to pass, I''m afraid. 3D Graphics programming is a skill that is not easily acquired.

For programming 2D applications you must find a way to get to the memory used as the screenbuffer. This will be an array of color values. Then you could write functions to blit images or pixels to this buffer.

But i''m not going into that matter ''cos we have APIs like Directx. It can do the above for you and much more. I agree that it takes some time to get familiar with the way to use directx, but it will pay of.

Since directx8 the preferred way to do 2D is through 3D. 2D calculation is a subset of 3d calculation, because you work on a plane in space.

My advice
-download directx SDK from microsoft site
-look on this sites for directx tutorials
-get your nose into matrices and 3D-math.

good luck on your quest.
Thanks for that.

I know how to draw pixels on the screen like you said, but that''s about it. And sadly, that doesn''t work too well for most graphics

I guess I should start trying to learn directX eh....

darn. Too lazy

n00b I am..
Forget Directx; use SDL or Allegro - They give you an easy to use wrapper around directx so you don''t have to mess with all the low level details. Using either of these you can dive in and actually use graphics to help learn programming in c/c++.
i rather make my own, and thats what ive done... it allows you to fully customise the way you want your wrapper. I find that way better, takes a while to do but its more worth it i reakon.
quote:Original post by Game_Dude_man
Anyone else ever find that they can make the coolest games, with multiple characters, inventories, (and all that great interaction stuff that games have in them), but when it comes to the graphics programming your dead in the water?

Maybe I just need to learn how to implement graphics in C and C++, I really have no clue.

Can anyone provide me with some good resources to start with?

By graphics I mean 2D to start with of course...

Why don''t you try Ogre or some other free engine? I''m also mostly interested into the actual game logic rather than graphics programming and I find it practical to just take some other guy''s stuff instead of frustrating myself with graphics engine programming and probably never finishing the game...
I vote for Allegro or SDL, Allegro probably being easier for beginners.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
DirectDraw is also rather easy and similar to SDL. I just find DirectDraw gives a bit more control, because its not wrapping Windows and the Window''s Procedure like SDL does.

The great thing about going 2D is you spend less time on graphics manipulation and more time on your game / engine.
you think rendering is hard? try physics ;p

Everything is better with Metal.

quote:Original post by oliii
you think rendering is hard? try physics ;p

Or render physics

Why not OpenGL ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement