Is c++ gonna die

Started by
134 comments, last by cpp boy 20 years ago
Hi people. I was reading a lot of posts on c# better than c++ or c++ better than c#. But thats not my interest. So the people that like to argue about that here is not the place. I do not in any purpose whant to start a flame war. So now here the question. Is c++ going to stop being used like it is know. By this I mean will c# get the majority of the programming books. Like instead of making a book like "Role Playing games whit Directx 8.0" Using the c++ language will they eventualy almost all use c#. By that I mean will c# be one of the most important language on the market like c++ is know. And my secound question is how is c# different from c++. Cause if c# will be the c++ of tommorow might as well know it. Kevin
Kevin
Advertisement
i dont think so. and c++ is still being used by many people.
----Me: So do you know any computer languages?Friend: Ummm....yeah, I used to know l337 talk.Me: ok....
On Windows, probably. I am still using C++ to practice memory management, becuase I don''t plan on staying with Windows forever.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
C++ replaced C but C hasn't died. It's still pretty widely used. I haven't tried c# yet but i dont think that it was made for making games. So no , I don't think C++ will die.

[edited by - santonel on January 11, 2004 8:14:03 PM]
Heck, even Fortran is still widely used.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.” — Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
The market and business itself will drive whether c++ begins to get replaced with C#..

Schools still teach C/C++ as the primary language in degree programs and that is what graduate students know. Application development proceeds with C/C++ due to the simple fact that it is the defacto language in which developers are comfortable with developing in.

Until we begin seeing a major transition within the corporate world it's safe to assume that C/C++ is here to stay for quite awhile longer

With that in mind, the fact of the matter is business is not just going to turnaround and say, "hey this C# thing looks pretty nifty. Lets give it a shot!" If it ain't broke, don't fix it (re: using C/C++).

[edited by - _vizual_ on January 11, 2004 8:22:45 PM]
cheers,vizuäl
what about D? isnt D being developed and highly praised?
quote:Original post by Penguins
what about D? isnt D being developed and highly praised?

No.
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,gave proof through the fight that our flag was still there.Oh say, does that star-spangled banner yet waveover the land of the free and the home of the brave?
quote:Original post by _vizual_ If it ain''t broke, don''t fix it (re: using C/C++).

A lot of people view C/C++ as fundamentally broken languages.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
C didn''t die, and didn''t get replaced by C++.
Game developers may pick C++ because of OO nature, but C code will still run faster
Don''t forget about incompatibility of C++ compilers ... for example if you have a library built with g++ 2.95 and link it against g++ 3.X library - it won''t work ... this becomes a problem if you would like to use both libraries and have no source for them (so you can''t recompile them). C doesn''t have this problem.
C# has a long way to go ... first of all it has to be supported on Unix.

http://www.anywherenotes.com - never lose another note again.

http://www.mildspring.com - developing android games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement